Shims (app compat) and App-v RRS feed

All replies

• I had an opportunity to meet Chris out in Redmond this year.  He can do amaizing things with app compat, but it is like sequencing in that there is a steep learning curve.  Chris does make some very good points in regard to using the right tool for the right problem, and if you can learn both tools you can be more flexible and creative with solutions -- meaning you can deploy more applications. 

What is new in his posting is the technique to deploy the shim using an OSD script.  This is precisely the problem I have had with app compat in the past -- the need to natively install the shim, even when virtualizating the app with App-V.  Scripting this in the OSD is the best way.  In fact, if you need app compat for an application that doesn't need App-V (but are using App-V for other apps), it might make sense to sequence just to get the shim out this way.

Monday, June 14, 2010 1:53 PM
  • Hi Tim,

I was wondering if you would list the tools you currently use for troubleshooting erroneous APP-V applications? I have been sequencing for years now and more recently have had the introduction of Shims into the works.

I was wondering if maybe there is a more efficent way of troubleshooting a virtual application that I am not aware of.

Thanks,

Rory

Friday, January 28, 2011 3:43 PM