none
Problem Setting Up Homegroup On A Home Network - Devices Cannot See Each Other ("no other homegroup computers are currently available")

Question

• Hey,

I have a problem setting up a homegroup on our home network.

I have 2xWin 7 PC's 1xWin8.1 Tablet upgraded to Win10, and 1xWin10 Laptop, all are appearing on the network but NOT homegroup.

I have set the homegroup password and all machines are connected to it, yet they do not appear under the homegroup tab.

Even just connecting the two Win7 pc's to the homegroup, we cannot see each other.

The tablet can see the laptop as well as itself, the laptop can see my wife's PC and the tablet, and my wife's PC can see only the laptop and I can't see anything "no other homegroup computers are currently available".

I have run the network and homegroup troubleshooters but they detected no issues.

I checked for the homegroup provider and peer networking grouping services on my PC which are both started and set to 'manual'.

I have discovered an article about Microsoft Essentials Network Inspection System that can cause problems with the homegroup but upon clicking "settings", then "real-time protection" there is only the option to turn on real time protection, the option to disable the NIS is not present.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you for your time.

• Edited by RevReese Monday, January 9, 2017 1:55 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 1:04 PM

All replies

• I think your Homegroup services should be set to automatic on all systems in your Homegroup.

Sometimes it is necessary to leave the Homegroup on each and every system and then initiate a new Homegroup.  Based on the mix of systems you have, I suggest you start the new Homegroup on your Windows 10 system and then work you way down the OS ladder to Windows 7.  Windows is always backward compatible, but may not always be forward compatible.

HomeGroup from start to finish is the best info on Homegroup.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Edited by Rick Dee Monday, January 9, 2017 8:39 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 8:38 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I think i have narrowed down the problem.

I set both homegroup services to automatic but the Homegroup Listener service would NOT start.

It gave me an error and suggested i check the event viewer which gives me this:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:          10/01/2017 19:19:21
    Event ID:      7024
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Terry-PC
    Description:
    The HomeGroup Listener service terminated with service-specific error %%-2147023143.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7024</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-01-10T19:19:21.207183800Z" />
        <EventRecordID>132810</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="712" ThreadID="6272" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>Terry-PC</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="param1">HomeGroup Listener</Data>
        <Data Name="param2">%%-2147023143</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

The other strange thing is I changed the name of my pc some time ago to Terry-PC to identify it easier on the network but on our network (not homegroup) it appears with a totally different name: "win-u3qkfek8tr".

I rebooted the machines and still have the "no other homegroup computers are currently available" message when trying to access homegroup.

The homegroup listener service still would not start so i guess we have found the problem but how to fix it?

I set the homegroup up via the win 10 machine but still no joy.

Thank you for your time.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:35 PM
  • An internet search for homegroup listener service still would not start provided multiple results, but one that was tagged as an answer almost 7 years ago is probably a good start: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/81aec8e5-b1c4-470f-9e0a-fd7a326206e1/homegroup-listener-service-will-not-start?forum=w7itpronetworking 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:50 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I did some digging yesterday and found the post you linked already.

I followed all the steps in part 1 with no success but i have not done step 2 as i did not want to mess with the registry.

If that is the only remaining option then i may just leave it and make do without homegroup.

I am running sfc /scannow in the hopes that it will find and replace the (im guessing) corrupt file.

Edit: Scan completed with no integrity violations.

Thanks again.

• Edited by RevReese Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:06 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:12 PM
  • I still have this issue, have you got any other ideas i could try without altering the registry?

I am still uncomfortable with making even small changes to the registry and i'm not sure the situation warrants such an action as it is only to set the homegroup up, i can still transfer files from one pc to the next as they are on the same network, just no homegroup which i thought would make it easier to transfer files (boy was i wrong!).

Thanks for your time.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 12:54 AM
  • Hi RevReese,

According to the error in event log, The HomeGroup Listener service terminated with service-specific error %%-2147023143.

We need Windows Firewall service running, then homegroup works just fine.

If you use a third party firewall it will not it will only work on widows firewall the home group listener doesn't work on third party fire walls.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:47 AM
  •  Thank you for your reply!

I am currently using Zonealarm as my firewall as for some reason the OS firewall will not turn on.

Also, i cannot select "use recommended settings" on the firewall control panel screen as it gives me the following error:

"Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings error code 0x8007042c"

Looking this up leads to trying to manually start the firewall.

Upon going to services.msc and selecting Windows Firewall, it shows the service is set to automatic but it is stopped and trying to start the service gives me the following error:

"Error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start".

I am assuming this is my problem though I do not know what to do about it.

I also followed all 3 steps on Microsoft's support page (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2530126/-0x8007042c-error-message-when-you-try-to-start-windows-firewall) but the issue persists.

Looks like I will be spending some time with Google tonight!

I am open to more suggestions though if you have any other ideas i could try!

Thank you for your time.

• Edited by RevReese Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:35 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:11 PM