none
DNS Updates messing with the server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a system with a handful of servers and a small number clients. All these are connect to a 1GB switch, the servers have static ip address's and matching entries in the DNS server. The servers are also connected via a 10GB network, directly back to back and without a switch. There is no route between the 1Gb and the 10GB networks. There are (or should not be) no records in the DNS for the 10GB  network. BUT .. Ive found that the servers are updating the DNS server with information about the 10GB network and something is creating records for them, so there are now 2 records for each server,  with same name but differing IP address's. The result is that sometimes a client computer doing a lookup for a server is given the 10GB network address and of course cannot get a connection.

So who , why are these 10GB records being created and how do i stop it

thanks

Monday, February 11, 2019 10:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Could you please tell me how do you configure your DNS update?

Best Regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:52 AM
  • Errr ? I dont.

The DNS server has the option to accept updates. But the other servers use static IP address's and I wasnt even aware that machines with static IP's sent updates until I turned on logging on the DNS server. Why are they sending updates ?? I dont know. Thats the question, i guess.

regards

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 10:34 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Have you backup your server?

If you have backup your server, please recover it first.

Have you enable DNS dynamic update?

Please disable it and check whether the issue still exist.

Best Regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 7:15 AM
  • Well I could disable dynamic updates but what effect would that have on updates from the DHCP server for the 1G clients ??  And why are the other servers with static address's sending updates in the first place anyway ??

dave

Thursday, February 14, 2019 5:11 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I feel sorry that I have not found any error message about your issue.

I have researched on this but unfortunately I can not reproduce your issue.

I suggest you contact Microsoft Customer Services and Support to get an efficient solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ln=en-au

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Eric

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 7:05 AM
  • Well i went to every machine and ran Set-Dnsclient  -RegisterThisConnectionAddress $false  on all the relevent NetAdapters. Touch wood, that appears to have cured/solved the problem. I hope ;-)

thanks

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 12:53 PM