none
mdt 2013 refresh wizard canceled as soon as I authenticate RRS feed

• Question

• I've been after this for a week or so now. I'm trying to run a POST OS Installation task, something I've done many times before, but always in MDT 2010. I"m now trying to kick off MDT 2013 from Windows 7 x64, and I get as far as being prompted for credentials. As soon as I enter my credentials, MDT quits and cleans up, immediately. Literally 1 second later according to the BDD.log. Nothing unusual seems to be recorded in the logs.

If I try to run it again without deleting the MININT folder, it usually succeeds. If I then cancel out of the Task sequence menu without choosing anything and try it again, it fails again. Is this some type of bug? I've googled extensively, can't find anything. I've removed all software that has been updated recently from the PC, no AV is installed, nothing that should be stepping on anything.

I'm running from an elevated prompt, like so:

\\Server01\Deployment01$\scripts\LiteTouch.vbs

Bdd.log returns this:

• Edited by JoeZeppy Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:14 PM typos
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:14 PM

Answers

• just to loop back here... I replied to Joe offline via E-Mail. the case is very weird:

---

I think it may have to do with the EVENTSHARE being defined in the bootstrap.ini file, somehow that is forcing MDT to setup a new connection to \\Server\Events$  and the dialog prompting for credentials is causing problems.

*Still* that shouldn’t case this code to return true:

' Was the wizard   cancelled?  If so, exit

If UCase(oEnvironment.Item("SkipBDDWelcome")) <> "YES" and oEnvironment.Item("WizardComplete") <> "Y" then

Cleanup

oLogging.ReportFailure "Welcome wizard failed or was   cancelled", 5212

End if

The logs *SHOW* that SkipBDDWelcome and WizardComplete are set properly:

Property SKIPBDDWELCOME is now = NO             ZTIGather            12/18/2014   8:45:14 AM  0 (0x0000)

Property WizardComplete is now = Y      Wizard  12/18/2014   8:45:15 AM  0 (0x0000)

Might be some kind of weird race condition in the Litetouch.wsf code. The progress bar UI fluff is pretty complex.

My recommendations would be to place EVENTSHARE into the cs.ini file rather than the bootstrap.ini file to see if that fixes things.

Otherwise just commenting out the code above, I’m not 100% sure why it’s there to begin with.

-k

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:30 PM

All replies

• Why are you deleting your OSD script folder before it's finished? :)  Looking initially at what you have above that's my first guess.  Can you show me what your post apply sequence looks like?  You can paste the xml file into here in a code block if you want.

• Edited by MrBrooks Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:35 PM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:34 PM
  • Did you *upgrade* your deployment share from 2010 to 2013?

Looks like Litetouch is registering error 5212, but I can't tell.

Can you share the full bdd.log file? (privately via e-mail if possible).

Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:37 AM
  • Log sent to your hotmail address.

The share was upgraded from 2010. the install of ADK and MDT originally were upgraded, but then the server fell over and died, so I re-installed 2013 fresh, and then re-attached to the deployment share.

Yes, it fails with a 5212:

Event 41002 sent: FAILURE ( 5212 ): Welcome wizard failed or was cancelled

• Edited by JoeZeppy Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:08 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:03 PM
  • I'm not doing anything. I start LiteTouch.vbs, authenticate to the share and it quits. I don't get to a point where I can select a task sequence.

No errors are reported, it just quits, cleans up and exits.

• Edited by JoeZeppy Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:06 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:05 PM
  • It's possible that it is only failing on x64. I just tried it on a 32 bit vm 4 times, and it succeeds every time.

I have no problem with the x64 test machine on MDT 2010. Both shares are local to my lab, same subnet, both query the same SQL server and event share on a remote subnet.

• Edited by JoeZeppy Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:21 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:18 PM
  • just to loop back here... I replied to Joe offline via E-Mail. the case is very weird:

---

I think it may have to do with the EVENTSHARE being defined in the bootstrap.ini file, somehow that is forcing MDT to setup a new connection to \\Server\Events$  and the dialog prompting for credentials is causing problems.

*Still* that shouldn’t case this code to return true:

' Was the wizard   cancelled?  If so, exit

If UCase(oEnvironment.Item("SkipBDDWelcome")) <> "YES" and oEnvironment.Item("WizardComplete") <> "Y" then

Cleanup

oLogging.ReportFailure "Welcome wizard failed or was   cancelled", 5212

End if

The logs *SHOW* that SkipBDDWelcome and WizardComplete are set properly:

Property SKIPBDDWELCOME is now = NO             ZTIGather            12/18/2014   8:45:14 AM  0 (0x0000)

Property WizardComplete is now = Y      Wizard  12/18/2014   8:45:15 AM  0 (0x0000)

Might be some kind of weird race condition in the Litetouch.wsf code. The progress bar UI fluff is pretty complex.

My recommendations would be to place EVENTSHARE into the cs.ini file rather than the bootstrap.ini file to see if that fixes things.

Otherwise just commenting out the code above, I’m not 100% sure why it’s there to begin with.

-k

Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:30 PM
  • Finally came back around to this. On first attempts, remming out the "Was the wizard canceled?" if block seems to have solved it. No problems detected from doing that yet.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:04 PM