Sharepoint 2007 - get a list of all sites and permissions RRS feed

• Question

• I have been given a SharePoint 2007 site without any documentation to manage. Is there any way to get a complete listing of all the sites that are in SharePoint and get the permissions associated with each site? I am having a very difficult time sorting through this.

SharePoint 12.0.0.6219 is the version that comes up in Site Settings.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:44 PM

Answers

• First, 12.0.0.6219 is Service Pack 1 which is no longer supported. I recommend planning to upgrade to a newer service pack.

You can use the stsadm tool to get a list of site collections and sites. For a list of site collections, use the enumsites stsadm operation. You can get this information as well from Central Administration -> Application Management -> Site collection list.

For a list of sites, use the enumallwebs stsadm operation.

This is the part where I point out that internally, SharePoint calls site collections "sites" and calls sites "webs" which will explain why the stsadm operations are named in the most confusing way.

Out of the box there isn't anything to display all the permissions in each site. You could build a custom application or use PowerShell to go through every site to do this. There are third party tools that report on permissions. A free product I have used in the past is SharePoint SUSHI, which does other things as well. It's permissions reporting is basic, cumbersome, and confusing but it does present a way to retrieve the information you are likely looking for.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:11 PM

All replies

• First, 12.0.0.6219 is Service Pack 1 which is no longer supported. I recommend planning to upgrade to a newer service pack.

You can use the stsadm tool to get a list of site collections and sites. For a list of site collections, use the enumsites stsadm operation. You can get this information as well from Central Administration -> Application Management -> Site collection list.

For a list of sites, use the enumallwebs stsadm operation.

This is the part where I point out that internally, SharePoint calls site collections "sites" and calls sites "webs" which will explain why the stsadm operations are named in the most confusing way.

Out of the box there isn't anything to display all the permissions in each site. You could build a custom application or use PowerShell to go through every site to do this. There are third party tools that report on permissions. A free product I have used in the past is SharePoint SUSHI, which does other things as well. It's permissions reporting is basic, cumbersome, and confusing but it does present a way to retrieve the information you are likely looking for.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Thank you for the information Jason. That is getting me closer to where I need to be but still having issues with the permissions part. At least I have a full list of the sites.
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:22 PM