none
DA - The system cannot find the file specified RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

DA server on 2016 - been running for a few years with no issues, but I logged in today to update a setting, and found it could not write the config.

A bunch of troubleshooting later, I have found that

running get-DANetworklocationserver comes up with empty entries - which I imagine is the issue.

this has been pointing to an internal HA web server for ages - and seems to be working fine - but the config is seemingly gone.

in order to get around this - I have tried to run

Set-DANetworkLocationServer -NlsOnDAServer -PassThru

in order to "reset" the config - but unfortunately I still get "the system cannot find the file specified"

I cannot see any errors in the event log.

I have noticed IIS is only bound on port 80 - however, if I try and add 443, I get an error stating it is already in use. Additionally a netstat -an shows the server is listening on 443 - so I assume that's because the DA services don't show up in IIS.

Both domain admins and the DA computer account have full control over the GPO's.

Not quite sure where to look next.

• Edited by Ben_22 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:48 PM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:27 PM

Answers

• Have you made changes to your Domain Controllers over the years? The RAMC likes tying itself to one DC for console read and write purposes, and when adding or removing DCs it can sometimes cause the RA console to fail to open.

On your DA server, try running Get-DAEntryPointDC. Does this display a DC that is perhaps now offline?

If that doesn't get you anywhere, I would imagine changing your NLS from being off-the-DA-server to on-the-DA-server via PowerShell isn't going to work well. Instead, I would try to use the Set-DANetworkLocationServer cmdlet to force it back to the real NLS site that you have been running previously.

• Marked as answer by Ben_22 Thursday, December 20, 2018 2:18 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 4:55 PM

All replies

• Have you made changes to your Domain Controllers over the years? The RAMC likes tying itself to one DC for console read and write purposes, and when adding or removing DCs it can sometimes cause the RA console to fail to open.

On your DA server, try running Get-DAEntryPointDC. Does this display a DC that is perhaps now offline?

If that doesn't get you anywhere, I would imagine changing your NLS from being off-the-DA-server to on-the-DA-server via PowerShell isn't going to work well. Instead, I would try to use the Set-DANetworkLocationServer cmdlet to force it back to the real NLS site that you have been running previously.

• Marked as answer by Ben_22 Thursday, December 20, 2018 2:18 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 4:55 PM
  • Hi - thanks for the reply.

I have moved to upgraded DC's over the years, but i cant remember if that coincided with the issue or not - it is a likely scenario.

i ended up clearing the config and re-creating - which is now working with no issue.

i did try setting the NLS via powershell to both on the DA server and to a "real" NLS - both error-ed with the same error.

Anyway - thanks for that suggestion on the DC's, ill keep that in mind next time i run into it.

Thursday, December 20, 2018 2:18 AM