HOW TO CONFIGURE DNS TO SOLVE MPLS network IP addresses WITHOUT ACTIVE DIRECTORY? RRS feed

• Question

• My company has a leased line, for a particular process.That leased line is MPLS network connection.that line enters a MPLS router. From that a LAN line comes out and enters another router, which is configured for NAT. client systems are coneected to the LAN router via switches.

to open websites, host file has been added in the directory of all the client systems, as only those websites are accessible from the client systems.(IN SHORT IT IS INTRANET)

I WANT TO CONFIGURE A DNS SERVER, WHICH WILL REPLACE THE NEED OF ADDING HOST FILE IN THE CLIENT DIRECTORY.

i have installed the DNS role in a system and connected it to the same network as of the clients (the LAN network).Now how to configure the DNS server? how to add the host to IP mapping?

From internet, if i open the same website, there is another version of the website that opens.

when opening the website, clients type in "ob.xxx.in" no www or https is required

Sunday, October 30, 2016 11:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Chatterjee,

>>its "xx.abc.in"

Add a zone of name abc.in. Then add a host record with name xx.abc.in. and the IP address you are using to connect.

On your DNS server, configure itself as primary DNS server.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 7, 2016 6:01 AM

All replies

• You can follow along here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/324259

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Sunday, November 13, 2016 11:37 AM
    Sunday, October 30, 2016 6:32 PM
  • Hi Chatterjee,

On the DNS server, add a forward lookup zone for the website. Such as web.com.

Then, add host record of the website in the zone. Such as Name: www.web.com, IP address: X.X.X.X.

On clients, configure the DNS server as Preferred DNS server.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Sunday, November 13, 2016 11:37 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 6:34 AM
  • Hi Leo,

Thanks for the response. The thing is, the website i wanna resolve name for, (ob.xxx.in) is not local. there is an MPLS connection from the website directly to my company.If i trace the website from internet, there is different hops and from MPLS there are different hops.

from internet, the destination is some public IP but through THE MPLS network the IP is a local IP.

Now, i have tried creating the zone file by the website's name, then add a host name  and the associated IP of the website, but  from the DNS server itself the web address is not getting resolved.

Can you suggest something?

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 1:52 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the response. The thing is, the website i wanna resolve name for, (ob.xxx.in) is not local. there is an MPLS connection from the website directly to my company.If i trace the website from internet, there is different hops and from MPLS there are different hops.

from internet, the destination is some public IP but through THE MPLS network the IP is a local IP.

Now, i have tried creating the zone file by the website's name, then add a host name  and the associated IP of the website, but  from the DNS server itself the web address is not getting resolved.

Can you suggest something?

If you want, i will send you all the snapshots of the settings in my DNS server.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 1:53 PM
  • i want to resolve-- abc.com

should the zone name be "abc.com" ?

if not, then what should it be? can i give any name for the zone?

while making host entry, new host --> A record --> now, the name will be "abc.com" and the IP of the website, right?

the primary DNS of my DNS server should be its own IP address, right? Should i assign the website's IP as secondary DNS?

I dont have the host name (System's name) of the website.I do not know the machine name where the website's webpage is hosted
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 2:11 PM
  • Hi Chatterjee,

>> from the DNS server itself the web address is not getting resolved.

Which DNS server is configured on the DNS server itself?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:57 AM
  • hey Leo,the server has its own IP as its DNS

Friday, November 4, 2016 9:54 AM
  • Hi Chatterjee,

>>i want to resolve-- abc.com

Do you use xx.abc.com to access or abc.com? If abc.com, when the webpage loaded, what is showing in the address bar?

>>the primary DNS of my DNS server should be its own IP address, right?

How many internal DNS servers do you have?

>>Should i assign the website's IP as secondary DNS?

No.

Best Regards,

Leo

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, November 6, 2016 7:39 AM
  • >>Do you use xx.abc.com to access or abc.com? If abc.com, when the webpage loaded, what is showing in the address bar?

its "xx.abc.in"

if i type in the same url and try to open it via internet, a different page will open "www.abc.in" .Well it is of the same company website. but for users only. the "xx.abc.in" is for their trade partners. I guess they made a child domain for their trade partner.

>>How many internal DNS servers do you have?

None. the website names are resolved here by host file entries.

Thanks for the response.

Chatterjee

Sunday, November 6, 2016 8:35 AM
  • Hi Chatterjee,

>>its "xx.abc.in"

Add a zone of name abc.in. Then add a host record with name xx.abc.in. and the IP address you are using to connect.

On your DNS server, configure itself as primary DNS server.

Best Regards,

Leo

Monday, November 7, 2016 6:01 AM
  • Hi Chatterjee,

Are there any updates on the issue?

You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.

Best Regards,

Leo

• Edited by Leo Han Sunday, November 13, 2016 11:38 AM
    Sunday, November 13, 2016 11:38 AM
  • Sorry for the delay Leo,

Have not tried the solution yet.Will update as soon as i try it.

Thanks

Monday, November 14, 2016 9:30 AM
  • HI,

The project is successful.

Thanks LEO , your solution worked.

But we added "xx" as the host name and the fqdn is taken automaticaly as :xx.abc.in"

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:14 AM