none
forwarding cross-org RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

So I have some questions that I hope someone can help me outline.

250 Users sitting on Exchange 2010 on-premises and we have another 150 users sitting in Exchange Online that we have to migrate soon down to the on-premises environment. (don't ask...) This is cross org due to company acquisition.

If we put the migration aside. how does the mailflow and x500/legacydn work together? Haven't touched on this for a few years now...

1. On a mailbox that resides online I can configure the forwardingstmpaddress and add the new emailadress so the email will automatically be forwarded to the "new" Exchange 2010 mailbox on-premises right?

2. If using forwardingaddress instead of forwardingsmtpadress I have to play with contacts right which I rather skip...

At this point I suppose mailflow works and not it comes to the upcoming migrated emails (when they are migrated)

3. If trying to reply to a migrated email this wont work until I configure x500... or legacyExchangeDN?

for me the X500 attribute is just a path of the Exchange administrative Group that the mailbox where attached to? Is this still used or do we only have to specify the legacyExchangeDN attribute with the "old" smtpadress that were used in the cloud?

Thanks for helping me get my head around this!

• Edited by [zid] Monday, February 19, 2018 11:46 AM
    Monday, February 19, 2018 11:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The migration between two organizations from Exchange Online to Exchange on-premises server 2010, it is generally process for the following steps:

• Create local mail user in Exchange 2010 to prepare for move, set the external email address to Exchange Online email address. For example:
      New-MailUser -Name "Winnie1" -SamAccountName Winnie1 -UserPrincipalName Winnie1@exchange10.com -Password (Get-Credential).Password -ExternalEmailAddress Winnie1@exchangeonline.com
    • Retrieve each Office 365 user's Mailbox GUID value
    • Apply the Mailbox GUID value to the corresponding local mail user.
    • Move and finish mailboxes from Exchange Online.

About your question, I would answer it one by one:

1. After you created the Mail User in Exchange 2010 before mailbox moving, the mailbox is still located in Exchange online (Winnie1@exchangeonline.com), the email send to this mail user will still be send to Exchange Online mailbox.

2. After you moved the mailbox to Exchange 2010, the Mail User has been converted to mailbox in Exchange on-premises (Winnie1@exchange10.com), the original Exchange online mailbox will be changed to a Mail User in Office 365 automatically. Incoming email to their Office 365 email address will still reach the users, but will be forwarded to their on-premises email address on Exchange 2010 automatically.

3. The LegacyExchangeDN, shown as the X500 Address is particularly important as it's used in places such as Outlook's nickname cache, and loss of that data can cause end-user issues. After mailbox migration, you can check the mailbox properties, go to Email Addresses tab, check the X500 address.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 8:24 AM
  • Maybe the following article is helpful to you:

http://techgenix.com/migrating-standalone-office-365-tenant-exchange-2010-part1/

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Monday, February 26, 2018 10:06 AM