none
8/2015, clients experiencing BSOD browsing Amazon.com - a thread from May is unanswered RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is anyone else experiencing this?  Clients, specifically on the West Coast, are experiencing BSOD in reference to "display driver" when they browse to Amazon.com.

Windows7 64 bit

IE 11 32 bit

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 8:32 PM

Answers

• The problem has been tricky to track down, but I finally got my hands on an affected machine and noted the file causing the BSOD (atikmpag.sys). This led me to confirm what others believed was the issue; the ATI video driver. If the machine is a 990 model - then download the AMD-Catalyst-15.7.1-Without-DOTnet45-Win7-64bit for those running Win7 64 bit.

For any other models, go to the AMD site and download
    the necessary drivers:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download.

More than likely it was a combo failure between either the newest Flash update, a MSFT update, and then the video driver no longer being compatible at this point.

• Marked as answer by Michele_Boz Monday, August 24, 2015 3:11 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 3:11 PM

All replies

• Me too...I have two clients reporting the same exact problem. Looking for answers....
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:25 PM
  • I am trying to narrow down similarities. We have Dell 990 computers that are 3 - 4 years old. We had just run all the Microsoft updates, and latest Flash update but this still happens. Did you do the same this weekend - meaning the updates?

Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:40 PM
  • havent actively done much yet. it seemed to start after Windows update though. just the other day I had to remove an update that came down the pipe on the 18th i think on a different PC with a similar problem. I'm going to try and find out which one is was.
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:48 PM
  • just remembering back...I believe it was KB3087916 that gave me fits.
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:50 PM
  • trying to narrow down similarities.

Can you get any details from them regarding the crash?  E.g. clues from the dump or at least Event viewer.  BSOD usually means a driver problem so if it is a video driver it could be an incompatibility in supporting software or if it is completely reproducible maybe switching to Low-res video could avoid it and help zero in on a cause that way.

Dell 990 computers

So that implies Radeon implies AMD implies Catalyst, etc.

Also, an immediate possible workaround would be to try

Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering

(in Options, Advanced tab)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Proposed as answer by Roger LuModerator Monday, August 24, 2015 7:59 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Michele_Boz Monday, August 24, 2015 3:12 PM
    Saturday, August 22, 2015 5:44 PM
    Answerer
  • The problem has been tricky to track down, but I finally got my hands on an affected machine and noted the file causing the BSOD (atikmpag.sys). This led me to confirm what others believed was the issue; the ATI video driver. If the machine is a 990 model - then download the AMD-Catalyst-15.7.1-Without-DOTnet45-Win7-64bit for those running Win7 64 bit.

For any other models, go to the AMD site and download
    the necessary drivers:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download.

More than likely it was a combo failure between either the newest Flash update, a MSFT update, and then the video driver no longer being compatible at this point.

• Marked as answer by Michele_Boz Monday, August 24, 2015 3:11 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 3:11 PM