Softgrid and Active Directory RRS feed

• Question

• Is Softgrid dependent on Active Directory to be used? If for some reason your AD is poorly setup and barely functional (like ours is) and you can't really use it for much how would you get the Softgrid client on all of your target machines? Can it be packaged and deployed with SMS for example?

Thank you. 
    Monday, August 25, 2008 8:46 PM

All replies

•  

SoftGrid uses Active Directory to make managing your applications easier but technically it's not required assuming you use the MSI Utility.  You can package your virtualized applications using the MSI Utility and distribute them as well as the client using SMS, ConfigMgr or any ESD solution. 

There is a lot of information about this on the SoftGrid blog: http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid.

J.C. Hornbeck

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:42 PM
  • Additionally, the streaming server (a.k.a. LWS) in upcoming 4.5 doesn't require use of AD if you want to use streaming and not MSI based delivery.

/Kalle

Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:44 AM
  •  ksaunam wrote:

Additionally, the streaming server (a.k.a. LWS) in upcoming 4.5 doesn't require use of AD if you want to use streaming and not MSI based delivery.

/Kalle

(a.k.a. LWS, Web Server or File Server)

Thursday, August 28, 2008 12:07 PM
  • Thanks for all of the info.  Now, since I am very new at Softgrid I have another newbie question.  Since it is usually said you should "not" re-package an MSI for many reasons so I was wondering how this would work....... If I already have an app that is a MSI do I have to re-packaging it using the Softgrid MSI tool? 

Thanks again. 

Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Yes,

You need to package it with the Sequencer - you can't just deploy any MSI as there's no pointer to tell it to run virtually using the App-V client.

Hope that helps,

Jon
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Right,

you would have to start the sequencing process, launch the "original" or "classical" MSI and save the App-V/SoftGrid-Package.

Also you can use the Sequencer's command line interface for automation or you can use use Login Consultant's Migration Tool (http://www.loginconsultants.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=28&Itemid=149). You'd need to registrer, but its free.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 6:18 PM