none
How do I make Ribbon customisations public? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a community of users that all use the same Global.mpt file. Whilst logged on as user A, I have made a number of ribbon customisations that I wish to deploy to all users. I am assuming that ribbon customisations are stored in global.mpt. User A consistantly gets the customised ribbon when invoking Project 2010, but no one else does. It is behaving as though the customisations are private to the user who created them. I have 'solved' the problem by exporting customisations, and having all other users import them, but this is very clumsy. How can I embed the customisations in the global.mpt file, and make them globally visible?
    VBA VB.NET developer
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:06 AM

Answers

• Marc --

The Ribbon customizations are NOT stored in the Global.mpt file, so you cannot share them in the manner you wish.  Instead, you will need to export a Ribbon customization file by clicking File > Options > Customize Ribbon. In the Project Options dialog, click the Import/Export pick list button in the lower left corner and select the Export All Customizations option.  In the File Save dialog, enter a name for the customization file, select a public folder in which to save the file, and then click the Save button.

After you have saved the customization file, your users will all have to manually import the Ribbon customizations by clicking File > Options > Customize Ribbon.  In the Project Options dialog, they must click the Import/Export pick list button in the lower left corner and select the Import Customization File option.  In the File Open dialog, they must navigate to the public folder containing the customization file, select it, and then click the Open button.  When prompted to overwrite existing customizations, they should click the Yes button.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:45 AM