A solution similar to Master/Sub Documents RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been asked for a solution to allow for tenders to be created using the same consistent data every time.  More than that they would like it if they update one of the original parts it would update all documents.

So for example lets say you have 2 files, being References.docx and Capabilities.docx.  I create a new document called TenderA.docx and i want to use those parts in my tender.  But then after its been created, some one comes along and updates References.docx and I want that to reflect TenderA.docx. 

I have read about how it can be done using master and sub documents but I also read that this is not a suggested method by Microsoft.

Is anyone able to point me to a possible solution to look into please?

Thank you,

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Neither of them really gave me what I wanted sorry guys.  Way too convoluted for my users.
    • Marked as answer by Wayne_Singh Monday, May 27, 2019 2:05 AM
    Monday, May 27, 2019 1:37 AM

All replies

• Depending on your requirements, you can use documents linked via INCLUDETEXT fields. INCLUDETEXT fields can be used to link to an entire document or to just a bookmarked range within it. You can also create a common Table of Contents for all those documents via RD fields. Provided all of the documents are based on the same Word template and use the same Styles, excellent results can be obtained.

When documents are linked via INCLUDETEXT fields, the content can be updated from either the source document or in any of the destination documents. The latter is done by editing within the field, then pressing Ctrl-Shift-F7.

For more on INCLUDETEXT & RD fields,see:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/field-codes-includetext-field-1c34d6d6-0de3-4b5c-916a-2ff950fb629e?
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/field-codes-rd-referenced-document-field-1730f463-ea41-4736-8061-499e778dd806?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Look into Graham Mayor's boiler add-in and also look into using AutoText and AutoText fields.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:51 PM
  • Thank you both, I will look into these now.  I will want to make this as easy as possible for the user to generate the documents so ease of use will probably trump functionality :)  I will come back with which option I end up taking.
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:34 PM
  • Hi Wayne,

Please follow above suggestions to have a check. If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 9:49 AM
  • Hi,

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:09 AM
  • Hi,

Best Regards,

Herb

Neither of them really gave me what I wanted sorry guys.  Way too convoluted for my users.
    • Marked as answer by Wayne_Singh Monday, May 27, 2019 2:05 AM
    Monday, May 27, 2019 1:37 AM