CCleaner Mystery RRS feed

• Question

• I have a puzzle for any technical detectives out there. I recently had to format and re-install Windows 7 Pro on a computer, which belongs to “Lance”. I added Lance’s account to the administrator’s group of this computer, after the reinstall, and configured it the way that I wanted. I then removed Lance’s account from the administrator’s group. The computer ran fine except for one application that I had installed: ccleaner. Lance would double-click on the executable file and nothing would happen. No windows and nothing else appeared. I list some important points.

1. I compared the process list in task manager before and after ccleaner was tried. No process with the word “ccleaner” appeared but “taskeng.exe” did appear after ccleaner was tried. I read that this process has something to do with Task Scheduler but I never used this program.
    2. I cleared the Windows Logs and then tried to start ccleaner. As far as I could tell, nothing was recorded that concerned ccleaner.
    3. If I ran ccleaner as an administrator, and supplied the administrative credentials in the UAC prompt, the program worked normally. The program should work fine for standard users, though.
    4. No group policy setting was preventing ccleaner from operating.
    5. The program worked normally if I temporarily added Lance’s account to the local administrator’s group.
    6. The file permissions for the executable and its shortcuts were correct.

I finally resolved this issue by uninstalling ccleaner and re-installing it using Lance’s standard user account and entering the administrator credentials in the UAC prompt that appeared. It simply would not run when I tried to start the program as Lance, the standard user, after installing ccleaner as Lance the administrator. Does anyone have an answer for this frustrating mystery?

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:24 PM

Answers

• I avoid CCleaner like the plague.  I tried it once and it deleted a bunch of stuff it should not have and really messed up my computer!!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:14 PM
    Friday, September 6, 2013 10:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try to repro the issue. If cannot repro it, this means the issue may be caused by the corrupted installation files or configuration of CCleaner. Considering the issue being resolved, it is very hard to find the root cause.

In order to get a better solution, I recommend you go to  http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/help Piriform support for help. They can provide you with some more valuable information about this issue.

Regards,

Ada Liu

Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:42 AM
  • Thanks for your reply! I have performed the same procedure on other computers here at my library and the results are the same. I bet you will find the same result if you try it (please do!). This is a minor problem, I know, but it is a mystery that keeps irritating me since I want to know the answer. Is it possible to design a program so that it "grabs" a user's administrator token when it could use his standard token instead? Can a program "remember" the type of user account that installs it? Thanks again!
    Friday, September 6, 2013 9:49 PM
  • I avoid CCleaner like the plague.  I tried it once and it deleted a bunch of stuff it should not have and really messed up my computer!!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:14 PM
    Friday, September 6, 2013 10:41 PM