How to change the "Installation Failed" status on a installed software package. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've created a software package to upgrade a product on our workstations.
    This product, a security tool (Pointsec Protector Client) requires an update at the end of the upgrade as some files (exe, dll) are locked, being in use by a running proces.

I created the command line for the package  by pointing to the setup.exe.
    I've created an setup.iss in advance, in here I used the option to ignore the reboot requested at the end of the upgrade. The setup.iss file is in the same directory as the setup.exe.

Within the software package I added "/s" (no quotes) as the installation parameter.

The upgrade, initiated from System Essentials, went ok, the following entries were found in the application event log.

-Product: Pointsec Protector Client -- Configuration Failed
    -Disknet.exe is being held in use by the following process: Disknet
    - same for libexport.dll
    - same for another 2 .dlls
    -Product: Pointsec Protector CLient -- Configuration completed Successfully
    - initiated a restart (no restart was done)

After the manual reboot the new version shows up at the Systems Essentials inventory, but the status of the software package at the computers entry is and remains Installation Failed.
    This also means that the Health status of this computer remains in error (Red).
    As I need to apply this upgrade to all computers (workstations) this would mean that in the end all my computers have a health state: error. That's not very helpfull.

Therefore, is there a way to avoid this behaviour, which is probably specific for applications which require a reboot to replace some .exe's and/or .dll's? And is there a way to reset the status of the installation of this software package within System Essentials?
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 1:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Andy,

You can make sure that the software has been upgraded successfully, right?

I think the upgrade files didn't detect that the software on the client has been upgraded, that's the reason why the client try to upgrade the software everytime it connect to SCE.

So I'd like to suggest you delete the package on the SCE console after you deployed it to all the clients
    • Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:18 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:47 AM

All replies

•   Hi Andy,

As the software has been successfully upgraded on the client, please run "wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow" on the client to let it report the status to SCE server.

If the error still existed, you can delete this software package after you deployed it to all clients and make sure the software has been upgraded on all clients.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:14 AM
  • Hello Eric,

I've followed your instructions and did run "wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow".
    This initiated a triple (three times) restart of the installtion of the upgrade. Each time ending with the "Installation Failure" message. So the status remains Error. 
    I haven't tried yet to remove the software package.
    Any other suggestions??

Rgds,

Andy

(12:50 was the time I ran the above mentioned command).

Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on Thursday, 08 January, 2009 at 12:50:
    - Upgrade Disknet to 4.91HFA1

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Upgrade Disknet to 4.91HFA1.

Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on Thursday, 08 January, 2009 at 12:57:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Upgrade Disknet to 4.91HFA1.

Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on Thursday, 08 January, 2009 at 12:58:

Friday, January 9, 2009 9:33 AM
  • Hi Andy,

You can make sure that the software has been upgraded successfully, right?

I think the upgrade files didn't detect that the software on the client has been upgraded, that's the reason why the client try to upgrade the software everytime it connect to SCE.

So I'd like to suggest you delete the package on the SCE console after you deployed it to all the clients
    • Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:18 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:47 AM
  • Hello Eric,

thanks again for your suggestions. I'm still a bit unhappy with the situation.
    I guess it's one of those 'chicken and the egg' situations. The installation, also according to the application event log entries, is succesfull, however the reporting to/through the windows update mechanism states unsuccesfull. Is this to 'blame' to the application (Pointsec) or to the mechanism (Windows Update)???

I've one more option to try. The installation directory contains a number of .msi files. And there is a setup.ini file. In this setup.ini (I guess) it specifies which one of the .msi it will execute fromt the setup.exe file.
    I will first try to do an update manually, using the .msi specified from the setup.ini. (is there a way to use the generated setup.iss??)
    If this seems to work, then I will create a new Software Package, from SCE, which executes the .msi file instead of the setup.exe. Maybe this will give a better status to the Windows Update mechanism when it performs the upgrade succesfully.

Andy

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:52 PM
  • Hello again,

sorry took awhile.
    In the meantime we've received a new version of the setup program from Pointsec.
    It is their version of the setup specially made to be used with SMS (or whatever the current name is).
    I've tested this one, and this one works without generating the Installation Failed message within SCE.
    So at least for this product the issue is solved.

Andy
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:44 AM