none
Turn off outdated ActiveX controls for specific domains GPO isn't working RRS feed

• Question

• I really like the new feature to block outdated ActiveX controls as it makes our computers a lot safer since we are stuck with old Java versions for various corporate applications. However I have found that the GPO policy named "Turn off blocking of outdated AcitveX controls for Internet Explorer on specific domains" is not working in our environment. I have entered several variations on one of the domain names I want to be allowed to run the old Java version, however IE9 and IE10 continue to display the message that Java is out of date. We have enabled the "Remove "Run this time" button for outdated ActiveX controls in Internet Explorer" to prevent unwitting users from allowing an infected website to take advantage of Java, so perhaps that is part of the problem. Has anyone else gotten this GPO working?
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:05 PM

Answers

• I figured out a way to make it work. I work for a local government and we have a long domain name of co.polk.wi.us. When I add that entire domain name to the list it doesn't work, but if I just add polk.wi.us then it does work. So it appears this GPO doesn't like longer domain names like most county governments use. Hopefully this will help others with long domain names!
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 2:07 PM

All replies

• I figured out a way to make it work. I work for a local government and we have a long domain name of co.polk.wi.us. When I add that entire domain name to the list it doesn't work, but if I just add polk.wi.us then it does work. So it appears this GPO doesn't like longer domain names like most county governments use. Hopefully this will help others with long domain names!
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your shared information.

If any further questions, welcome to post in TechNet forum.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 12, 2014 10:56 AM
  • I am using the new ADMX template to disable blocking, but IE still blocking the site that require Java.

also tried the registry key, IE still blocking it.

We are on 2008R2 domain, desktops are Win7 with IE10.

anyone have the new ADMX template working?

Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:55 PM