Windows 7 applications crashing and cursor is flashing busy. RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Alienware M17x and it's been acting real bad lately. i'm experiencing frequent application crashes such as the desktop window manager, window explorer, and both my graphic card applications (ATI Catalyst and Intel). I also can't install updates to fix the problem, every time I try to download them they fail. The aero theme is not working and most of my programs can't even start. Even after attempting to go into services.msc and manually restarting some services they immediately crash again. I do not get any BSODs though. Also, the little blue circle that appears next to the cursor when the computer is busy appears continuously every second or so. I also ran a full system virus scan and cleaned all threats. Some of my specs are:

AMD Radeon 7970m Graphics Card

Intel i7 Processor

Killer WiFi Card

6 GB Ram

500 GB Hard Drive

Sorry that I can't upload my exact specs at the moment. For some reason whenever I try to get to the System page in the control panel explorer crashes and I get this error message:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: explorer.exe
      Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567
      Application Timestamp: 4d672ee4
      Fault Module Name: StackHash_19d1
      Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18205
      Fault Module Timestamp: 51dba4e7
      Exception Code: c0000374
      Exception Offset: 00000000000c4102
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID: 1033
      Additional Information 1: 19d1
      Additional Information 2: 19d12a5eabd6f1bbedaea206205713de
      Additional Information 3: 69d8
      Additional Information 4: 69d83bd13b65cab88cb0f4e12db9685c

Thank you in advance.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:02 AM

Answers

• The crashes are very random though. Yesterday explorer was crashing, but today it is not. Now that I can get into my system's specs I realized that my score for the Windows Aero theme is 1.0 and as is the one for my gaming graphics card. These are usually up in the 7.x's. I did install the reg file and nothing has changed.
    • Marked as answer by Shrimpster35 Friday, September 6, 2013 1:52 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:06 PM
  • The crashes are very random though. Yesterday explorer was crashing, but today it is not. Now that I can get into my system's specs I realized that my score for the Windows Aero theme is 1.0 and as is the one for my gaming graphics card. These are usually up in the 7.x's. I did install the reg file and nothing has changed.

Hi,

Since the issue can always be caused by incompatible shell extension like Andre mentioned.

We can also use shellexView to disable non-Microsoft related extensions of Windows Explorer:

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2.  Extract "shexview.zip" file and open shexview.exe. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

3. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

4. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

5. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, then test the issue in Clean Boot and Safe Mode, and let me know the results.

Look forward to your response.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, September 2, 2013 1:05 PM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 10:14 AM
  • no, it was a 3rd party tool. But without a dump I can't tell you which tool it was.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, September 5, 2013 5:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows Explorer crashes are mostly caused by an incompatible Shell Extension.

please download this reg file from my SkyDrive:

http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/MS%20Foren/Registry/WER%5E_Explorer_full.reg

and make a double click on the file to import it. If you can't do this, run regedit.exe and import the registry file there!

When the Windows Explorer crashes, Windows Error Reporting Service [1] creates a dmp file under C:\Localdumps. Please upload the dump file (compressed 7z or RAR to reduce the size) to your public Skydrive [2] folder and post the link here. I take a look at the dump with the Debugger, maybe I can see which Shell extension is the cause.

After you generated the dumps, download and import this regfile:

http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/MS%20Foren/Registry/WER%5E_Explorer_full_uninstall.reg

to stop the dump creation.

André

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181%28VS.85%29.aspx
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Monday, August 26, 2013 7:20 PM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:52 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:06 PM
  • the .reg only configures Windows to create dumps and doesn't fix anything.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 7:10 PM

Hi,

Since the issue can always be caused by incompatible shell extension like Andre mentioned.

We can also use shellexView to disable non-Microsoft related extensions of Windows Explorer:

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2.  Extract "shexview.zip" file and open shexview.exe. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

3. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

4. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

5. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, then test the issue in Clean Boot and Safe Mode, and let me know the results.

Look forward to your response.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, September 2, 2013 1:05 PM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 10:14 AM
  • Just got my computer up and running again. Called Dell and was told to reinstall Windows (of course). Fixed the problem. They said it was something to do with an infected registry. thanks for the help guys. 
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 10:21 PM
  • no, it was a 3rd party tool. But without a dump I can't tell you which tool it was.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 5:11 AM
  • It got to the point where I could no longer use Windows Explorer. I couldn't access the dump files. Safe mode and clean boot didn't work either.
    Friday, September 6, 2013 1:51 AM
  • this was probably AppVerifier which tends to finds issues much faster and crashes the Explorer earlier.

Friday, September 6, 2013 5:01 AM