none
Outlook 2016 not showing in place archive RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently upgraded from Outlook 2013 tot Outlook 2016.
    Since this upgrade, my in place archive is not showing up in Outlook.
    The Outlook web app is still showing my archive, but Outlook 2016 doesn't.
    My Office plan is Office365 Business Premium

I already tried to create a new profile, no luck.

Please advice.

Monday, October 12, 2015 11:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• hii,

Try to uninstall office 2016 and reboot your system thereafter install office 2016 again. This time create a new profile with outlook 2016 and check whether in-place archive folder is visible or not. The issue might be due to office 365 license. As in-place archive folder will only available with office professional plus license.

Thanks and regards.

If you find my contribution useful then please do mark as an answer or vote as helpful.

Monday, October 12, 2015 11:39 AM
  • Hello,

To fix this issue you have to enable “In-place Archive” by using Exchange admin portal. Follow the given below steps:

1.  Login to the Office 365 an administrator & select Exchange which is at lower left corner of the window to login into Exchange.

2. Now, select “recipients” >> “mailboxes” and then select the mailbox that you want to enable the In-place archive. At right panel select “Enable” under the “In-Place Archive”.

3.  Click on “Yes” button to enable the “In-place Archive”.

4.  After clicking on “Yes” a new folder will appear in your Outlook web called “In-Place Archive – <name>” at left pane or in Microsoft Outlook desktop called Online Archive -<name> at Navigation pane.

5. Now, In-Place archive is now ready to use.

Informative article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979800%28v=exchg.160%29.aspx

Note: Improve community discussions by marking the answers helpful.

Thanks & Regards

Kelvin Howard

Monday, October 12, 2015 4:05 PM
  • @ Paul: I've already taken these steps with no luck

@ Kelvin: My archive disappeared since the upgrade. I've already configured it for use, when I was using Outlook 2013.

These steps have been discussed in a previous post on the Office365 forums:
    https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/158/p/412995/1025830#1025830

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

The “In-place Archive” feature is only available with Office Professional Plus licenses or when you are using a standalone installation of Outlook. Since your Office plan is Office 365 Business Premium, I'm afraid the “In-place Archive” feature is not available in Outlook. For detailed information, please have a look at the following article:

https://support.office.com/en-nz/article/Outlook-license-requirements-for-Exchange-features-46b6b7c5-c3ca-43e5-8424-1e2807917c99?CorrelationId=185cf2ce-9cd7-43bc-877e-0094d1200f1f&ui=en-US&rs=en-NZ&ad=NZ

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 7:31 AM
  • I am well aware of the licenses of the Exchange / Office platform.
    This is not a licensing issue.
    In the outlook 2013 I had the in place archive folders, suddenly in outlook 2016 I don't.
    Even in the link supported by Steve it clearly states that Outlook with a Office365 plan has the in-place-archive feature.

Please take a look at the link provided in my previous post, even a test account from Microsoft Office365 admin didn't show in place archive. Clearly a local Outlook problem.

Any solution to this?

• Edited by GijbelsY Tuesday, October 13, 2015 6:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 6:18 PM
  • Thank you for the update. I noticed that your Office 365 plan is Office 365 Business Premium from your first post. Please have a look at the "Outlook in Office 365 subscriptions" heading in the link I provided, the In-Place Archive is not available for Outlook in Office 365 Business Premium.

No bullet in the column means not available.

Reference:

https://support.office.com/en-nz/article/Outlook-license-requirements-for-Exchange-features-46b6b7c5-c3ca-43e5-8424-1e2807917c99?CorrelationId=185cf2ce-9cd7-43bc-877e-0094d1200f1f&ui=en-US&rs=en-NZ&ad=NZ

Thanks,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 2:22 AM
  • We have customers suffering from this too!

Since the Small Business Premium is now replaced by the Business Premium, customers are migrated to this and suddenly loose their In-Place Archive in Outlook. This is a huge critical problem, which needs to be addressed ASAP.

Just asking customers to upgrade plan again to get access and/or recover their critical In-Place Archive files is close to blackmail, and really not a proper way fix it. The O365 ProPlus mentioned to have In-Place Archive support in outlook, but does not have the Exchange mail box - so upgrading to this would just make them loose their regular mailbox. So one would have to go for the biggest plan to just be able to access/recover their In-Place Archive. Seriously?!? 

Even though one can still access In-Place in OWA with Business Premium, this is pretty useless, since it do not even support folder copy/move. You cannot expect customers to move/copy up to 50gb file by file.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:29 AM
  • We have this same problem, but we are running the stand-alone Exchange Server on premise. It worked fine with Outlook 2013 and no longer works with Outlook 2016. There has been no change to the Exchange Server 2013. In fact, the remaining Outlook 2013 clients still see their archives, only Outlook 2016 clients do not.

The Outlook clients are part of Office 365 Home (consultants using their own copies of Outlook and my own personal copy of Outlook), but that is true for both versions of Outlook (2013 and 2016). We're reluctant to finish letting every upgrade to 2016, because it seems to break Outlook based-access to their archive. They can still reach it through OWA.

Any ideas?

Colin

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:25 PM
  • @Colin: I have Office 365 Home installed on my personal laptop and an Exchange 2010 (on premise) mailbox at work with in-place archive enabled. I was able to access my archive with Outlook 2013 but not with Outlook 2016 after I upgraded. The thing I realized is, I don't think Outlook (as part of Office 365 Home) was ever supposed to be able to access archives. I think it was an oversight in Outlook 2013 that Microsoft "fixed" in Outlook 2016.

One option is to upgrade to an Office 365 Plan that supports Outlook archives - either Pro Plus or Enterprise E3. Steve's link above shows which Office packages support archives. Interestingly, the standalone version of Outlook does support archives. So another option (if it's possible) is to keep the 365 Home subscription for Word, Excel & PowerPoint but purchase & install the standalone version of Outlook. Not sure if you can mix Office products like that on the same computer though.

Either way I know it sucks, to have to spend more money just be able to use one Outlook feature. A feature that already cost more to have because it requires Exchange Enterprise CALs.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:46 PM
  • I was able to get around this by adding 'Full Access Permission' to the users archive mailbox.  We are running Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2016 Standard.

• Proposed as answer by Nick Werba Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:38 PM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:38 PM
  • @Colin: I have Office 365 Home installed on my personal laptop and an Exchange 2010 (on premise) mailbox at work with in-place archive enabled. I was able to access my archive with Outlook 2013 but not with Outlook 2016 after I upgraded. The thing I realized is, I don't think Outlook (as part of Office 365 Home) was ever supposed to be able to access archives. I think it was an oversight in Outlook 2013 that Microsoft "fixed" in Outlook 2016.

One option is to upgrade to an Office 365 Plan that supports Outlook archives - either Pro Plus or Enterprise E3. Steve's link above shows which Office packages support archives. Interestingly, the standalone version of Outlook does support archives. So another option (if it's possible) is to keep the 365 Home subscription for Word, Excel & PowerPoint but purchase & install the standalone version of Outlook. Not sure if you can mix Office products like that on the same computer though.

Either way I know it sucks, to have to spend more money just be able to use one Outlook feature. A feature that already cost more to have because it requires Exchange Enterprise CALs.

That sure seems consistent with what everyone is telling me, but that's so bad that Microsoft would take away a core function like that that was pitched as part of Exchange Server 2010 and 2013 as a core feature of Exchange. Well it's value is SEVERELY diminished if users can't actually access that archive, without spending extra on a standalone version of Outlook or going through an entirely different UI through a web browser (which also means no offline access).

Colin

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 12:52 AM
  • This is absolutely unacceptable. I have multiple clients who have been loyal 365 customers since inception pretty much and now, because of a 'name change' on the subscription they lose functionality? I cant' even comprehend how that was justified. This is a major disruption, and i have to figure out a way to explain that they have to pay more for a feature that they received previously for less - in what world is that even close to good customer service?

This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth and is akin to a traditional 'bait and switch'. Unreal. I think what genuinely pisses me off the most is that they want to grow this service but by doing moves like this it would give anyone pause. The stock answers by 'Microsoft' reps is also ridiculous. This 'answer' is basically blaming the customer for stupidity when it was instigated by Microsoft! At least a sensible answer that takes responsibility for this colossal muck-up would be a little pacifying. I hope they get crucified for this because otherwise there's nothing to prevent them from delivering even less down the line. I was truly hopeful that this company had changed and to be honest I love their new product line but this is a stinky Apple-like move. Not cool at all.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:41 PM
  • Hi Nick,

Would you mind providing steps you took to do this? We don't see any options for permissions for Archive mailboxes in Office365 Exchange Admin Center. Thanks so much. 

Monday, June 27, 2016 4:46 PM
  • I agree, this is totally unacceptable!!! This is force upgrade from $13.50AU to $19.00AU per user across the whole company. The only alternative appears to be to export the existing in-place archives as pst files then attach them back in. This does not allow it to be searchable on a mobile. I think this has now forced me to choose Google Gmail as the 2Gb limit of a user in Exchange is not realistic when many users have 20Gb of email that needs to be available to be searched daily.
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:08 AM
  • @pad7481, I agree that it's bad, but just to be clear, Exchange has NOT had a 2GB limit for many versions (maybe not since 2003?). The default is 25GB, and you can increase that if you want. In spite of this problem, Exchange is still 1000x better than gmail.

Colin

Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:39 AM
  • Just be aware that Microsoft has made changes in this area.  Make sure that Office/Outlook is also patched

Thursday, October 27, 2016 10:45 PM
  • Steven,

Yves_Gijbels stated that he/she is using Outlook in Office 365 Business Premium does have In-Place Archive.  And on the article from your link does stated that Office 365 Business Premium does have In-Place Archive as well.

So what is the real problem?  This post is a year old could it be In-Place Archive has been added to Outlook in Office 265 Business Premium?  This is critical information as I am trying to sign my company up for Office 265 Business Premium.

jon

Friday, February 3, 2017 2:04 AM
  • I would love to however it says it is private and I'm not allowed. This is absolutely absurd, I cannot believe it is even legal for Microsoft to keep doing stuff like this. They are blatantly taking features away to force people to pay outrageous amounts of money to upgrade. 
    Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:35 PM
  • I would love to however it says it is private and I'm not allowed. This is absolutely absurd, I cannot believe it is even legal for Microsoft to keep doing stuff like this. They are blatantly taking features away to force people to pay outrageous amounts of money to upgrade. 
    if you are only pissed now, you are late. Software as a service was the downfall. Stay angry friend, anger gets shit done.
    Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:39 PM