Word Program Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Could you advise me how to access my Word Program. When I click on the icon it responds by saying the Word Program is not responding, I am also unable to access any word document on my desk top or any folders.

Thank you

Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:14 PM

Answers

• Have you tried repairing the Office installation (via Start > Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change > Repair)?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Sunday, April 24, 2016 10:32 PM
  • Hi,

There exist several reasons which can crash Microsoft word abruptly and throw that “Word Program is not responding” error. The main suspect here is third party add-ins - A lot of problems with Office are caused by third party (non-Microsoft) applications.

Assuming this only happens with Word, I would suggest you start the troubleshooting with "Safe Mode", which will help to determine whether this was caused by any third party add-ins:

Press Win + R and type "winword.exe /safe" in the blank box, then press Enter.

If it works well in safe mode, then you will have to disable all installed add-ins one by one to isolate the faulty one.

Of cause, as suggested by <Paul> above, repair Office via Control Panel is also worth a try.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 25, 2016 2:03 AM

All replies

• Have you tried repairing the Office installation (via Start > Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change > Repair)?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Sunday, April 24, 2016 10:32 PM
  • Hi,

There exist several reasons which can crash Microsoft word abruptly and throw that “Word Program is not responding” error. The main suspect here is third party add-ins - A lot of problems with Office are caused by third party (non-Microsoft) applications.

Assuming this only happens with Word, I would suggest you start the troubleshooting with "Safe Mode", which will help to determine whether this was caused by any third party add-ins:

If it works well in safe mode, then you will have to disable all installed add-ins one by one to isolate the faulty one.

Of cause, as suggested by <Paul> above, repair Office via Control Panel is also worth a try.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 25, 2016 2:03 AM
  • I would suggest you start the troubleshooting with "Safe Mode", which will help to determine whether this was caused by any third party add-ins:

One can also start Word in Safe mode by simply holding down the Ctrl key while starting the application and answering 'Yes' to the Safe mode prompt.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, April 25, 2016 4:33 AM