ACT Confusion RRS feed

• Question

• We've ran ACT successfully but I have a two questions regarding the inventory collection.

1) I have two vb6 apps showing up under one record - these apps are not related to each other and don't call one another.  Why does ACT see them as one?

2) The Technet docs on the inventory collector say that ACT uses "indicators" and application "evidence" when scanning a machine.  I can't seem to discover what these indicators are.  I've listened to nearly all of CJacksons webcasts and he rattles off a few - like ADD\Remove Programs & the Run Key, etc. but I'm looking for a list.  I'm trying to figure out HOW the collector works so we can interpret it's results accurately - see my #1!

THANKS! Jason Yates

Jason Yates
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jason Yates,

Thanks for posting in TechNet forum.

For how the Inventory Collector works, I would like to recommend you read this:Inventory Collector and the ACT-DC Proccesses, Inventory Collor Data and Log Files. 

As for your two VB6 apps, we don't know what are these applications. Since they were shown under same record, it could be determined by the proccesses above. 

In addition, I want to share this document with you: Application Compatibility Toolkit Technical Reference, it includes reference material for the technologies related to ACT.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber support in form. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 18, 2011 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

How's going?

Please feel free to give us any update.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber support in form. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:01 AM
  • I actually read both of those before posting.  They don't answer my question - thanks for trying.  However, Chris Jackson's article did help: 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/query/dd797545

Thanks

Jason

Jason Yates
    • Marked as answer by JTYates Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:16 PM