none
Team Member sees more than the defaults. Why? RRS feed

• Question

• What would allow or give a Team Member permission to see e.g., all projects in the PWA Project Center if the that user were showing to be associated to default the Team Members group which is associated to the default My Tasks category?  And note, there are no permissions/ category set directly in the PWA> Server Settings > users account (they are untouched i.e., 'blank'= default).  In addition, the user/ resource is not a resource on the project team.

Note, we are using On-Line Project Server Permission Mode (not the default SharePoint permission mode).

I know that we can give someone 'Admin' permissions to PPM via the O365 portal and they would not even show up in the security groups, but is it possible to give users permissions via the O365 portal that would not be explicitly controlled via PWA > Security Settings page?

\Spiro Theopoulos, Montreal, QC (Canada)

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 7:15 PM

All replies

• Permissions also have to do with the Resource Breakdown Structure, and choices you make for the groups/categories based on that RBS. For example, if a person is in the team member role, and their teammates are assigned to to a sprinkling of projects that in sum represent all the projects, then it is possible to configure permissions so that that this person would have visibility into projects that their peers are members of.

Ian

Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:45 PM
  • Hi Ian Unfortunately, the RBS does not come into play in this scenario because the default My Task category that is associated to the default Team Member security group does not leverage the RBS. The security model(s) is not something new to me, so I find myself perplexed how a simple Team Member can see projects tha he is not a member of. Could there be something that was done at the site collection level, whereby the inheritance was removed/ changed, etc. Or do we have a bug on our hands ? Your feedback is appreciated. Kind regards,

Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:55 PM
  • What do you have chosen on the category for "Projects"?

• Include all current and future projects
    • Only include selected projects

The second item, with none actually being selected, is what I'd expect. I'd also expect that a checkmark next to Additionally, dynamically include projects in this category where: "The user is on that project's project team".

Ian

Thursday, August 25, 2016 6:08 PM
  • Only include selected projects with none actually being selected

and the second item, "The user is on that project's project team".

Weird or what?

Thursday, August 25, 2016 6:44 PM
  • Spiro,

The My organization is the category that allows team members to view all projects. Please make sure that the category is not assigned to any of the groups that the team member in question is part of.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:44 PM