Change mangement - Status stuck on NEW RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed SCSM 2019 and tested out the Change managment section of the application but noticed the status has not changed from NEW. 

Can some one please provide me steps on how to get this to work as I am new to SCSM and not sure where to go and what to do 
    Wednesday, January 15, 2020 3:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would gladly point you in the right direction, but I need to ask what exactly are you planing to do with your SCSM implementation, before providing an answer.  

SCSM is great tool, that can have many different types of implementations. It can be used as:

- an ITSM tool, where processes like Incident, Problem, Change managemet etc. are impemented. 
    - it can used as an approval or workflow platform. You can build your own workflows (also PowerShell based).
    - it can be used also as a CMDB for an Enterprise, where you store all CIs in a central location. Here I mean all User or/and Computer objects from Active Directory, all SCSM managed systems, objects, comig from SCOM and so on and so on 
    - It can be used as combination of alll of teh above mentioned purposes. 

What is your goal? 

Those "Survival Guides" are a great place to start when you are in doubt. Please be aware that most of the information (written for SCSM 2012 R2 or SCSM 2016) still applies to SCSM 2019. There aren't many canges over the last years. 

SCSM Survival Guide

System Center Service Manager Survival Guide

I am not quite sure why there are 2 Guides, but both of them contain enough information to get you started in a nic way. 

I hope I was able to help. 

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 9:49 AM
  • Hi guys

You need to create a GPO Object for the server and add your SCSM Service Account and workflow accounts to Logon as a service. 

Create a Seperate OU for your SCSM Server, then in GPO Managment link the New GRO object to that OU.

go back on to your SCSM server and do GPUPdate /force then create a new Change request and you will notice a diffrence 

I am going to create a Youtube video for this in the coming days
    • Marked as answer by Adamrg2013 Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:50 PM
    • Edited by Adamrg2013 Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:51 PM added Youtube
    Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would gladly point you in the right direction, but I need to ask what exactly are you planing to do with your SCSM implementation, before providing an answer.  

SCSM is great tool, that can have many different types of implementations. It can be used as:

- an ITSM tool, where processes like Incident, Problem, Change managemet etc. are impemented. 
    - it can used as an approval or workflow platform. You can build your own workflows (also PowerShell based).
    - it can be used also as a CMDB for an Enterprise, where you store all CIs in a central location. Here I mean all User or/and Computer objects from Active Directory, all SCSM managed systems, objects, comig from SCOM and so on and so on 
    - It can be used as combination of alll of teh above mentioned purposes. 

What is your goal? 

Those "Survival Guides" are a great place to start when you are in doubt. Please be aware that most of the information (written for SCSM 2012 R2 or SCSM 2016) still applies to SCSM 2019. There aren't many canges over the last years. 

SCSM Survival Guide

System Center Service Manager Survival Guide

I am not quite sure why there are 2 Guides, but both of them contain enough information to get you started in a nic way. 

I hope I was able to help. 

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 9:49 AM
  • Hi there

I am using it as a ITSM Tool, I have noticed before i saw your reply that there are errors saying that the 1385 error which i belive is that the the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. I jhave added the Workflow account to ALL of the Roles within SCCM, I have even added it to to the users group on the local machine but still failing. 

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 11:00 AM
  • Hi,

there were security changes in SCSM 2019 affecting the service accounts. Please take a look here:

Enable Service Logon

Can you also please post here the exact error message, this way it would a lot easier for me/us to help you out.

If you are using SCSM as an ITSM Tool then you should definetely take a look at this:

Service Manager 101 – Focus on Incident Management

The same logic applies more or less to all work item types.

Hope this help,

Regards,

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 12:19 PM
  • Hi Adamrg2013,

In SCSM, a "workflow" is responsible for moving Change Requests from a "New" status into the "In Progress" status. If stuck in a "New" status, it is likely this workflow failed. You can see some details as to why it failed in the Administration -> Workflow -> Status section of the console. You can also see some related logs in Event Viewer -> Operations Manager log (don't be fooled by the name, this is truly the SCSM log!).

Now that you have your roles/permissions updated, have you tried creating another Change Request? It is possible you fixed the issue, but it might not apply retroactively. You can also try placing the stuck Change Request "On Hold," and then resuming it-- this will kick off a new workflow to process the status again.

Thanks,

Nick

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 2:19 PM
  • The Change Request contains at least one activity (Manual Activity or Review Activity)?

Andreas Baumgarten

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 4:41 PM
  • Sounds like your workflows could be corrupted somehow if they are not moving from new status. You could reinstall the base MPs to SCSM to see if that will work.
    Has this ever worked since installing SCSM 2019?

Website: www.walshamsolutions.com Technical Blog: https://www.walshamsolutions.com/technical-blog Personal Blog: https://www.walshamsolutions.com/personal-blog Twitter: Dwalshampro

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 7:51 PM
  • Take a look into the Operations Manager Log of the Server. In most cases you will find an Error there.
    Do you add logon as Service right in local policy to the Workflow Account on the Workflow Server

Local Policies-User Rights Assignment-Log on as a service
    Thursday, January 16, 2020 3:08 PM
  • Hi guys

You need to create a GPO Object for the server and add your SCSM Service Account and workflow accounts to Logon as a service. 

Create a Seperate OU for your SCSM Server, then in GPO Managment link the New GRO object to that OU.

go back on to your SCSM server and do GPUPdate /force then create a new Change request and you will notice a diffrence 

I am going to create a Youtube video for this in the coming days
    • Marked as answer by Adamrg2013 Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:50 PM
    • Edited by Adamrg2013 Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:51 PM added Youtube
    Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:50 PM