none
cannot create the storage required for the checkpoint using disk- The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002). RRS feed

• Question

• hi all 

i have VMs on many Hyper-v host when avamar backup solution take scheduled backup it' successful on some VMs and failed on others the failure server show the below event 

og Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS

Date:          3/24/2019 10:51:35 PM

Event ID:      16370

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      xxxx

Description:

'xxxx' cannot create the storage required for the checkpoint using disk D:\xxxxxx.VHDX: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002). (Virtual machine ID xxxxxx)

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin

Event ID:      18012

Keywords:      

Computer:      xxxxxx

Description:

Checkpoint operation for 'xxxxxxx' failed. (Virtual machine ID xxxxxxxx)

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin

Event ID:      10150

Keywords:      

Computer:      xxxxxxx

Description:

Could not create backup checkpoint for virtual machine 'xxxxxxxx: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002). (Virtual machine ID xxxxxxxxxx

what i did 

run -- vssadmin list writers and result hyper- vss writer unexpected error 

So please can you advise 

x

IT MS System Administrator

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:39 PM

Answers

• I am glad to hear that!

About your concern, please understand that since you are using a third-party backup tool, it is difficult to find the root cause. We suggest that you contact the software manufacturer. Or we can observe the problem for a period of time. If the problem recurs, we can troubleshoot it according to the error.

I guess it's related to the following reasons:

1. Some mechanisms of third-party backup tools themselves

2. Perhaps the backup tool has no access to some folders

In short, if we want to find out the root cause, we have to wait for the problem to recur and then analyze the logs and VSS trace.

BTW, if my reply is helpful to you, please help mark it as an answer.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 15, 2019 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

1. Have you ever tried using Windows built-in backup tool(WSB)? If so, is there the same mistake? Since you are using a third-party backup tool, I recommend you engage the software vendor(s) for assistance.

2. What's the difference between these VM?

3. Have you installed AV software? If so, try uninstalling them and try again.

4. About Event Tracker 16370, please see:

http://kb.eventtracker.com/evtpass/evtpages/EventId_16370_Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS_63191.asp

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

5. Do you create checkpoints on backup failed VM? If so, delete them first then try again.

6. BTW, What type of your VHD? VHD, VHDX or VHDS. Here is the post with them similar issue with yours, for your reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/56dbe44a-a0f7-4d75-a168-b0f457c854d7/vm-backup-issue-on-windows-backup?forum=windowsbackup

Hope this information can help you, if you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 11, 2019 3:18 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Best Regards,
    Daniel

Monday, April 15, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Hi 

i would like to thank you for your i advise after in investigate most of failed backed up VM if found the below 

•           VHDX files on the root folder
    •         VMs Data not on the single location 

and there is also VM Data in single location and also failed 

so what i did as below 

move each VM Data to single location and tried to backup then succeed 

change VM Data from Root to another folder and tried to backup then succeed 

and another one all VM Data in single location but failed so i made workaround as below 

•           Temporarily disable the "Backup (volume checkpoint)" integration service
    •           and run a test backup of the guest. If this succeeds,
    •           re-enable the service and the next backup of the VM succeed

till  now all my issues succeed but i have one concern 

i have one VM Data  not located in single location but backed up succeed why other failed and this succeed 

i know the recommendation to set all VM Data in single location 

thank you in advanced for your help 

asd

as

Monday, April 15, 2019 8:20 AM
  • I am glad to hear that!

About your concern, please understand that since you are using a third-party backup tool, it is difficult to find the root cause. We suggest that you contact the software manufacturer. Or we can observe the problem for a period of time. If the problem recurs, we can troubleshoot it according to the error.

I guess it's related to the following reasons:

1. Some mechanisms of third-party backup tools themselves

2. Perhaps the backup tool has no access to some folders

In short, if we want to find out the root cause, we have to wait for the problem to recur and then analyze the logs and VSS trace.

BTW, if my reply is helpful to you, please help mark it as an answer.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Monday, April 15, 2019 9:30 AM
  • Hi,

first of all i appropriate your help and i am already contact with backup vendor and he inform me this related to hyper-v no backup software because other VM already backed up 

so as you said we will wait and track if problem recur we will investigate again 

many thanks bro 

Monday, April 15, 2019 10:47 AM
  • You are welcome!

It's my greatest pleasure to help you.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 1:11 AM