bash on ubuntu on windows move to different drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am no stranger to Linux. I installed bash on windows and tried "df -h" command. I got an error as "df :  cannot read table of mounted file systems" and i couldn't find a way to move to other drives. Could anyone help me out with this. In Cygwin we could do something like this "cd D:" and in Ubuntu its "cd  /media/<user name>/<drive name> , these doesn't seem to work here.

Also please can anyone let me know how to access /home in C: drive.

Sunday, April 24, 2016 5:20 AM

Answers

• Well;

cd /mnt

ls

Shows the Windows drives for me. Does that help? Not sure if that is what you mean, not that familiar with commands on Linux meself.

Run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows Windows blog on it (where I got the mnt info from)

Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:48 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I figured out a how to change drives and directories.

This could be helpful for newcomers who are facing the same problem.

cd /mnt/<drive_letter> does the job.

For example if you want to got to C drive u use this command

cd /mnt/c

chi

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:49 PM

All replies

• Well;

cd /mnt

ls

Shows the Windows drives for me. Does that help? Not sure if that is what you mean, not that familiar with commands on Linux meself.

Run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows Windows blog on it (where I got the mnt info from)

Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:48 PM
  • The linux subsystem is a beta feature so support is limited.  Microsoft did recommend a method of reahing the team that is developing it which is here

Support for Bash/Ubuntu should be directed to the Ubuntu forums here

First, this is the first time we’re releasing this technology – it’s marked as beta for a reason: We know that there are some rough edges and that some things will break! Do not expect every Bash script and tool that you run will work perfectly – there will be gaps. But by trying out this feature, you’ll help us figure out what we need to work on in order to greatly improve our reliability, coverage, and reach.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Sunday, April 24, 2016 10:11 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I figured out a how to change drives and directories.

This could be helpful for newcomers who are facing the same problem.

cd /mnt/<drive_letter> does the job.

For example if you want to got to C drive u use this command

cd /mnt/c

chi

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:49 PM
  • Hi chiranthhd,

I am glad the issue has been resolved by yourself. Please remember to mark the replies.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 2:32 AM