none
VSS hardware provider RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to do hardware based backups using my SAN and the VSS/VDS provider. I have some questions to get this thing going below:

Where do I install the VSS/VDS provider?

I assume this is on the nodes I am actually backing up. Once I start the two new services is there anything else that needs to occur on the node that I plan to backup?

When I run vssadmin I would have expected to see the VSS/VDS provider listed but I don't.

How can I tell these services are actually running and registered on these nodes?

Do I need to do anything at the DPM Admin Console or will DPM automatically detect the VSS/VDS provider?

Do I need to create a new or modify an existing protection group in anyway to support the VSS/VDS provider?

How do I initiate a hardware based backup once I have the protection group configured?

Any help welcomed.

Lisa

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Lisa,

You need to install a VSS Hardware provider for the SAN.  Depending on who the SAN Vendor is, you may also need additonal software on the SAN and licensing.  Then you need to configure the SAN to allow snapshots for LUN's.

Once you see the VSS hadware provider show up after running "vssadmin list providers" - the you can test hardware snapshot using SAN tools or requestor software on the nodes. 

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hey Lisa,

If you want to use the VSS hardware writer, then you will need to install it on the nodes you are going to protect, and that's it :-) No configuration necessary

DPM will use the VSS writer if it is installed and can be used.

For a complete list of the supported (does not mean that yours won't work if it is not in the list, just not tested by MS): http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/02/05/tested-hardware-vss-provider-table.aspx

That's it.

Good luck

Cheers,

Mike Resseler

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:42 AM
  • Mike,

Thanks for the response. Is it VSS or VDS? I am using Windows Storage Server and installed the iSCSI Target Client on the nodes I want to protect.

Anyone know if that works?

Thanks in advance.

Lisa.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Hi Lisa,

You need to install a VSS Hardware provider for the SAN.  Depending on who the SAN Vendor is, you may also need additonal software on the SAN and licensing.  Then you need to configure the SAN to allow snapshots for LUN's.

Once you see the VSS hadware provider show up after running "vssadmin list providers" - the you can test hardware snapshot using SAN tools or requestor software on the nodes. 

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:16 PM