Windows 7 SP1, IE8 and/or IE9 and SharePoint - slow opening up Office files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Similar to the problem described originally in this thread (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/3531ae55-a8eb-4d14-8cd8-d162bf83fad3) we're having the same very slow to open files from Sharepoint with Windows 7 SP1 only. Windows 7 RTM (after turning off the proxy setting) and Windows XP SP3 all work as expected. Internet Explorer 8 as well as Internet Explorer 9 are both problematic.

We've tried turning off the Automatic Proxy Configuration setting and it doesn't seem to do anything. I've also tried changing the authentication settings for Windows and Office and a few other things that I managed to find but none of them worked.

I can't find much about this, but I have seen a few sporadic forum posts that SP1 broke this functionality again but generally no suggestions or thoughts on what needed to be done to fix it.

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I should mention that if we just try to save the file to the desktop or something that works fine. It's only when you're attempting to work on the file directly from the server that this problem occurs.

Friday, April 1, 2011 9:19 PM

All replies

• Having this issue as well with SP1.  Nothing seems to fix the functionality again. 
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:56 AM
  • Having the same issue here on 1 machine running 7.  We have other machines running 7 that function just fine, but there's one that take up to a minute to open a file from sharepoint.  Like above, downloading it to the desktop is instant, and then opening it from there is instant.  We've tried unchecking the "Automatic..." box with no results.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Did you have any luck fixing this problem?

JimK

Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:37 PM
  • I had the problem saving files/attachments from Internet Explorer 9.
    The save dialog did appear after a long time.

This problem disappeared after i cleared the download list (Ctrl-J and choose Clear List) and restarted Internet Explorer.

As this also affects opening office files perhaps it can help.

Friday, December 21, 2012 7:46 AM