none
Hyper-V Fault tolerance

Question

• Hi,

i am planning to have single Hyper-v cluster span across two Blade chassis. (two different rows). Main purpose of this implementation is to achieve fault tolerance. I am aware, that through Microsoft fail over cluster we can achieve high availability and through hyper-v replica we can achieve some what of fault tolerance( one VM is shut down replica state and manual intervention is required in case of an issue). However my main objective is to achieve, when ever a physical server unplanned shutdown/reboot occurs guest VMs should move to other hyper-v nodes rather reboot and move. 

During my research i have found that, stratus hardware can somewhat achieve this. However, they need to load the physical nodes with Centos and etc.

is there a way to achieve my objective through Hyper-v?

sanka

Sanka Perera

Friday, March 10, 2017 3:40 PM

All replies

• Hyper-V does not provide virtual machine-level fault tolerance. There are third-party systems that can keep two separate Windows systems (which would include Windows Servers inside virtual machines) in synchronization, such as Double-Take.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Saturday, March 11, 2017 2:39 PM
    Friday, March 10, 2017 5:20 PM
  • If your Hyper-v host #1 has gone to reboot, your VMs are "failed over" to another server in a failover cluster. If this is ok for you (VMs would have a hard shut down and then started on a new host), then you're welcome.

If not, then hyper-v replica is definitely to look at, but it doubles resource consumption.

• Proposed as answer by Serge Poyarkov Friday, March 10, 2017 10:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by sankapradeep Saturday, March 25, 2017 8:20 AM
    Friday, March 10, 2017 10:56 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:46 AM
  • hi Leo,

None of the answers are satisfying my requirment. Seems i need to go for a solutions like stratus to achive this.

sanka

Sanka Perera

Saturday, March 25, 2017 8:20 AM
  • Stratus is a hardware based solution.  Eric also mentioned Double-Take, a software solution.  The need for fault-tolerant systems is a real niche marketplace.  I've worked in both the fault-tolerant and fault-resistant market since the introduction of clustering by DEC back in the 1980's.  During that time, I have had only a couple customers who really needed fault-tolerance, whereas hundreds (everything from simple file services to E-911 systems) benefited from fault-resistance, also known as clustering.  I am curious about what your application is that it requires fault-tolerance instead of being able to work with fault-resistance.

tim

Saturday, March 25, 2017 1:37 PM