none
Windows Remote Desktop Web App auto closing.

Question

• Hi All,

Recently our server running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard will randomly break and will not allow users logging in from the remote desktop web app access to the server. It will authenticate them using their login credentials but when they try to access any apps on through the browser it will go straight from preparing desktop to logging off. When this happens it only effects people using the remote desktop web app, users using remote desktop can access the server without any issues and the only fix that I have been able to find is restarting the remote desktop service service or restarting the whole server. The issue is that this is only a temporary fix until the server acts up again and does not allow users connecting using the remote desktop web app from accessing the server again. If anyone could give me suggestions to a permanent fix it would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by 246IceBear Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:32 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>When this happens it only effects people using the remote desktop web app, users using remote desktop can access the server without any issues.
    WebApp is based on RD Web Access and IIS server roles to provide the remote app session to end users. Based on your description, problem only happens on web access users, these 2 server roles can be considered.

>the only fix that I have been able to find is restarting the remote desktop service service or restarting the whole server.
    Once problem happens, only re-start IIS service on RD Web Access server or re-start RD Web Access server system, confirm that if it is helpful.

Besides, please open CMD, type “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files on your RD Web Access server.

If problem persists, please check Event Viewer and confirm that if there is any relate event has been logged, such as:
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows – TerminalServices and RemoteDesktopServices.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 30, 2018 8:44 AM
  • Thank you for your response Eve I will try restarting the RD Web Access server. Another thing is that the users are allowed to authenticate and they get through the login process on the Web Access but when they try to open an application it automatically logs them out of the rd session but they do not get logged out of the web access.
    Friday, November 30, 2018 8:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for more information. 

Please check event and try to find helpful event log. Also, is there any change before problem happens? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:13 AM
  • I don't see that much in the eventlog the only thing that stands out is a bunch of schannel errors codes 36888 and 36874.

When the error happens it usually happens sometime overnight and when I check in the morning it wont let me stay logged into the web app. The one thing that I thought was off was that when I checked the Remote Desktop  Services Manager there were two web access users stilled logged in from the previous day with state set as disconnected which is weird because the server is set to log people off after 30 minutes of inactivity.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 3:38 PM