none
Guest Cluster (Shared Virtual Hard Disk) in windows server 2012 R2 HyperV

Question

• Dears 

I deployed windows server data center 2012R2 Fail-over cluster CSV between two nodes

Node1: windows server 2012 R2 Data center

Node2: windows server 2012 R2 Data center

,then create VMs in CSV, now the VMS is working fine with high availability , 

After that I want to deployed High availability between two VMs , as a guest cluster, I added SCSI controller with Virtual shared Hard disk on VM1, "VHDx" and I enabled the shared option,

my question how the second VM2 can see the shared Virtual shard hard disk ?

Thanks in advanced,

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Sir,

This shared disk can be used for cluster shared volume and cluster quorum disk .

Generally , even number cluster nodes needs a quorum disk .

AFAIK , DAG doesn't rely on cluster shared volume . What you need is quorum disk.

You may add the quorum disk (the shared virtual disk you added for cluster) in cluster manager .

As for further assistance of exchange cluster ,you may post it into exchange forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Eng.Yaseen Tuesday, May 2, 2017 7:04 AM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:56 AM

All replies

• Hi

Simply just add the newly created to VM2 also as a existing disk

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn265980.aspx#Step%203:%20Create%20and%20enable%20a%20shared%20virtual%20hard%20disk

Andreas Sobczyk CloudMechanic.net

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:27 PM
  • Thank you Andreas,

but what the steps to add  the Virtual hard disk to VM2 ? If I go to VM2 and add new Virtual Hard disk it will add as new virtual hard disk !

thanks in advanced,

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:53 PM
  • Dear Andreas,

I do the following on VM2:

1- go the Setting -- Select -- ScSI controller -- Hard disk -- Add--- then select Browse - and select the existing Hard disk that I create for VM1

Is that correct ?

Thanks in advanced,

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:52 PM
  • Hi Sir,

>>1- go the Setting -- Select -- ScSI controller -- Hard disk -- Add--- then select Browse - and select the existing Hard disk that I create for VM1

Yes (created one VHDX file in first VM cluster node and enable 'shared vhdx' , then , browse that vhdx for second vm cluster node and also enable 'shared vhdx').

And that VHDX file should be put into CSV volume or SOFS share .

http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/tip/Using-a-shared-virtual-hard-disk-in-Hyper-V-2012-R2

Best Regards,

Elton

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 6:35 AM
  • Thank you Elton,

I did and it's added fine, so can I used this Virtual hard disk and guest fail over cluster to database Availablr Group (DAG) for M.S Exchange 2016 ?

Thanks in advanced,

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 6:38 AM
  • Hi Sir,

This shared disk can be used for cluster shared volume and cluster quorum disk .

Generally , even number cluster nodes needs a quorum disk .

AFAIK , DAG doesn't rely on cluster shared volume . What you need is quorum disk.

You may add the quorum disk (the shared virtual disk you added for cluster) in cluster manager .

As for further assistance of exchange cluster ,you may post it into exchange forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Best Regards,

Elton

• Marked as answer by Eng.Yaseen Tuesday, May 2, 2017 7:04 AM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:56 AM