Sort and filter a drop-down look-up field in quick edit (datasheet) view RRS feed

• Question

• I have a list in my SharePoint 2013 site.  In it, I have a lookup field that is pulling from another list.  This information in this lookup field will display in a drop down format for both the form and datasheet view.  Since this field have hundred of records, I would like to see if there is a way to sort this drop-down lookup field in alphabetical order or filter unnecessary information in datasheet view.  I was able to use InfoPath to sort the drop-down list and filter the information in the form, but I don't know how to do it in Datasheet view.  Does anyone able to help?
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Janeric,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to sort or filter the lookup column from a list in Quick Edit. Is it right?

In SharePoint 2013, lookup column is sorted by ID in "Quick Edit" by design. If you would like to change the order, you would refer to coding help.

In addition, when you edit the column in Quick Edit, if you type some letters in the lookup cloumn, it will locate the first value which begins with these letters. This function will help you.

There is a similar post for your reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c0da3277-5bf1-47bf-9af9-8774923cefd6/sort-alphabetically-a-lookup-column-in-quick-edit?forum=sharepointcustomization

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Sunday, February 1, 2015 12:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Tuesday, February 3, 2015 3:44 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2015 10:35 AM
  • try this links:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c0da3277-5bf1-47bf-9af9-8774923cefd6/sort-alphabetically-a-lookup-column-in-quick-edit?forum=sharepointcustomization

also you can use spervices

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark it as answer if you find it useful happy sharepointing

Friday, January 23, 2015 2:40 PM