Will XP copy corrupted data? RRS feed

• Question

• I wonder if XP sp3 will copy corrupted data?

I've got a strange issue.  I've purchased 3 identical new 2TB hard drives, and each one soon develops data corruption; CHKDSK runs at startup every time (various messages, sometimes 'insufficient space' and no WINLOGON event file) without resolving it and sometimes without completing. 

Hard drives and RAM and CPU all test clean with diagnostics.  It seems like a the corruption only happens on a certain set of files as soon as I copy these back to one of the new, identical drives.  I have no idea why the drive I'm copying these files back from, has no issues with data corruption with these files.

Hence my initial question:  I'm wondering if the corruption may return to these new drives when I copy the suspect fileset?  Or does XP only copy uncorrupted file data?

Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:21 PM

Answers

• Unless the disk drive or controller detects an error, Windows won't care.

Try to use backup software that provides advanced recovery info. This should cover any kind of corruption in hardware or software.

-- pa

Monday, April 29, 2013 12:49 PM

All replies

• I would try copying the files to a different drive, preferrably from a different manufacturer and preferrably smaller than 2 TB.  See if the data is corrupted then.
    Monday, April 29, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Hi,

My recommendation here is you will need to copy at block level from bad hard drive to good hard drive.

Only a block level copy will copy the corruption over.

More than likely you will need to remove the drive and boot into a 3rd party system where you can connect the 2 drives and start a block transfer.

M

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Monday, May 13, 2013 6:21 PM