Firewall disabled, but all ports still filtered RRS feed

• Question

• Environment: AD domain, XP SP3

I've got an odd problem here: from the console of this PC I can view all domain resources.  But it is completely inaccessible from the outside.  An attempt to view it reports "network path not found".  I can't ping it, and a network scan reports all ports are filtered.

I've ensured that File & Print sharing is on.  I've turned the firewall off.  I've ensured that the "server" service is running.  Still nothing.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

dpm

Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:28 PM

Answers

• John,

I finally figured this out: I ran autoruns.exe and discovered that someone installed Zonealarm on this box at one time, but only partially uninstalled it.  Autoruns revealed the hidden ZA components still running; removing them offline solved the problem.

I can't recommend autoruns highly enough - it absolutely shows you stuff no other tool does.  My hat's off to Russ and the gang for making this tool available.

Thanks,

dpm

• Marked as answer by dpm1 Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:08 PM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:08 PM

All replies

• How are the IP addressed configured?  Manually or by DHCP?  Are the machines in the same subnet?

John

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:47 PM
  • John,

IP is assigned by DHCP.  All machines are on the same subnet.  If I run "ipconfig" everything looks OK.

I swear, it acts just like a firewall is active.  But I've manually stopped the Windows firewall service and it still behaves this way.  I'm stumped.

Thanks,

Dean

Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:09 PM
  • John,

I finally figured this out: I ran autoruns.exe and discovered that someone installed Zonealarm on this box at one time, but only partially uninstalled it.  Autoruns revealed the hidden ZA components still running; removing them offline solved the problem.

I can't recommend autoruns highly enough - it absolutely shows you stuff no other tool does.  My hat's off to Russ and the gang for making this tool available.

Thanks,

dpm

• Marked as answer by dpm1 Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:08 PM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:08 PM