none
how does full express backup works in dpm 2007?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I created a protection group with a database of 125 gb size with the following options:

protection method: short- term (disk)

retention range:  7 days

syncronization frequency: every 4 hour(s)

recovery points:  based on synchronization frequency (4 hours) (I can't change it)

express full backup 8.00 PM Everyday

I expected to find in completed jobs one  job with file transfer of 125 gb (so a full backup) everyday and one job every 4 hours of some mb or 0 mb (depending on db modifications).

What i've found are very few backups of some mb (maybe jobs don't start if there's no modification) and, the strangest thing, no full backup or data transfer bigger than 4 mb.

How can I schedule a full backup on dpm? Did I do something wrong? Thanks in advance

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This sounds normal. Express full backup only transfers changed blocks since the last express full backup.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795622.aspx

An express full backup is a type of synchronization in which the protection agent transfers a snapshot of all blocks that have changed since the previous express full backup (or since the initial replica creation, for the first express full backup) and updates the replica to include the changed blocks. The impact of an express full backup operation on performance and time is expected to be less than the impact of a full backup because DPM transfers only the blocks changed since the last express full backup.

Thanks,

Marc

Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This sounds normal. Express full backup only transfers changed blocks since the last express full backup.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795622.aspx

An express full backup is a type of synchronization in which the protection agent transfers a snapshot of all blocks that have changed since the previous express full backup (or since the initial replica creation, for the first express full backup) and updates the replica to include the changed blocks. The impact of an express full backup operation on performance and time is expected to be less than the impact of a full backup because DPM transfers only the blocks changed since the last express full backup.

Thanks,

Marc

Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Ok. I found on technet, too. I think that's enough to let dpm manage without having to do manual full backp... Is there a way to make a complete full backup with DPM anyway?
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:41 AM