Server 2003 IAS Migration to Server 2012 R2 NPS Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I am attempting to migrate from Windows Server 2003 IAS to Windows Server 2012 R2 NPS, following the "Migrate Network Policy Server to Windows Server 2012" guide (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831652.aspx).  Based on the guide I am under the understanding that this is a support migration scenario.

I have prepared the new server as outlined in the migration guide and am able to successfully export the current IAS configuration using iasmigreader.exe without any problem.  I am not making any edits to the ias.txt file to address EAP as it is my understanding that the issue caused during the export was resolved in the Server 2012 R2 version of iasmigreader.exe (if I am mistaken, please let me know).

When attempting to import the ias.txt file on the new server using "netsh nps import filename=c:\temp\ias.txt" I receive the oh-so-helpful "Unspecified error" and some basic syntax for the import command.  If I attempt to import the configuration from the NPS GUI (right-click on NPS (Local), select "Import Configuration") I receive an error box labeled "NPS Configuration Import Failure" with "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component".

In both cases I have attempted to restart the server to see if that helps and I have found that the Network Policy Service fails to start and I get the following error box labeled Services, "Windows could not start the Network policy Server service on Local Computer.  Error 0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect."

I have noticed that after the failed import attempt, if I look in RADIUS Clients I see the entries I would expect to see, but I do not see that any policies have been imported.  Note also that I have run "netsh nps reset config" between import attempts so that NPS is back to its default configuration (and the service starts cleanly).  My guess is that the ias.txt file is not being formatted correctly, or is being corrupted in some way.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Jesse,

The problem maybe one of the network policies.Here is the similar thread I have met:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/c9bae926-45df-42c0-8408-ec6f85c95e78/something-wrong-with-iasxml-file?forum=winserverNAP

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 2:18 AM
  • Hi Cartman,

I took a look at the link you provided and while I am able to export the configuration prior to resetting the NPS server and then re-import it, that does not help as none of the policies from the old IAS server appear to have imported when I tried importing ias.txt.  I have tried opening the exported nps.xml file in XML Notepad however there does not appear to be any policy configuration information in it.  I have attempted importing the ias.txt file from our second IAS server (they are configured identically), and run into the same problem, so at least I know this likely isn't an issue with the was iasmigreader.exe is exporting the data from IAS.

Since I am able to import the RADIUS Clients from the old IAS servers (I just have to export the configuration, reset the NPS server, and then import the nps.xml file) I would be happy to simply recreate the Remote Access Policies (there are only 5 of them) and Connection Request Policy (only 1) by hand.  Is there a reference you can recommend that would provide some guidance in doing this?  I am unfamiliar with both IAS and NPS, so I am not sure where to start.

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 6:35 PM
  • Hi Jesse,

Here is the link for your reference:

Create NPS Policies for 802.1X Wired by Using a Wizard

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd283087(v=ws.10).aspx

Create NPS Policies for 802.1X Wireless Using a Wizard

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd183706(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 6:26 AM