Disappearing Menu bar, desktop icons on Windows 7. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I've recently encountered a problem where everytime I turn on my laptop, my menu (windows) bar and desktop icons dissappear and the only thing left is the wall paper. I've tried everything that I've been told to try get it back but all failed. I can't seem to bring up the run bar nor the Windows Task Manager. And I've no luck with turning on the UCA .

Is there anything else that I can do ?

Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:48 AM

Answers

• How are you trying to start Task Manager?  From the screen that has only the wallpaper (I hesitate to call it the Desktop) press CTRL+ALT+DEL.  This should bring up a menu and one of the options is Start Task Manager.  If you select that, does it start?  If it does, go to the Applications tab and click on New Task.  In the box that appears type EXPLORER.EXE and press ENTER.  Does the Desktop appear?
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, January 7, 2011 9:19 AM
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:33 PM
  • Yours is a different issue, something is causing Explorer to crash.  Try logging on as a different user or in Safe Mode and seeing if the problem occurs then.
    Friday, December 31, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Hi,

If this issue did not occur before, try system restore to get back to a previous time point which everything is OK.

Meanwhile, I suggest you run a FULL scan in Safe Mode.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, January 3, 2011 8:00 AM

All replies

• How are you trying to start Task Manager?  From the screen that has only the wallpaper (I hesitate to call it the Desktop) press CTRL+ALT+DEL.  This should bring up a menu and one of the options is Start Task Manager.  If you select that, does it start?  If it does, go to the Applications tab and click on New Task.  In the box that appears type EXPLORER.EXE and press ENTER.  Does the Desktop appear?
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:33 PM
  • I have the same problem with a brand new computer - kind of sucks!  The Icons will be there when the computer is 1st booted but as soon as you click on one of them everything disappears and all that is left is the wall paper.
    Friday, December 31, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Yours is a different issue, something is causing Explorer to crash.  Try logging on as a different user or in Safe Mode and seeing if the problem occurs then.
    Friday, December 31, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Hi,

If this issue did not occur before, try system restore to get back to a previous time point which everything is OK.

Meanwhile, I suggest you run a FULL scan in Safe Mode.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, January 3, 2011 8:00 AM