BranchCache configuration - Windows 2012 R2 Hosted Server, 2008R2 Content Servers and Windows 7 machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there,

I have been setting up BranchCache in my environment and I have a couple questions.

I have several servers that are going to act as the Primary Servers where content is pulled up from and they are running 2008R2.

The data will be cached on the 2012 R2 File Server.

I have a mix of Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines

1) Do I need to install a certificate to have the Windows 7 machines properly cache the files?

2) Can I use the same GPO for both the Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines? 

3) Any issues with the 2008 R2 File Servers and 2012 R2 and  running BranchCache?

Thanks!

• Edited by JustinC87 Monday, October 16, 2017 9:57 PM typos
    Monday, October 16, 2017 9:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1)
    As distributed cache mode, CA is not necessary for Windows client OS. Besides, for hosted cache mode, CA is also no longer needed.

>Previously, hosted cache servers were required to have a server certificate that was issued by a certification authority (CA) that client computers at the office location trusted. Deploying a public key infrastructure with one or more CAs is complex and expensive, and this requirement is now removed, because BranchCache security is improved with data encryption and other technologies. So you don't need to deploy a CA just because you want to deploy BranchCache in hosted cache mode.

Quote from blog “Highlighting BranchCache Hosted Cache Mode in Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2”:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsnetdoc/2012/06/01/highlighting-branchcache-hosted-cache-mode-in-windows-server-2012-and-windows-server-2012-r2/

2)
    Yes.

Client Configuration:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637820(v=ws.10).aspx

3)
    Please note about the new changed of BranchCache on Windows Server 2012/2012 R2. Reference the blog mentioned in “1)”.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 1:32 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, October 27, 2017 2:02 AM