none
Moving files that are in a resource pool environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using Project 2010 Pro non Server.

I have to move the location of my files.  I have about 25 projects that are sharing a resource pool and master file.  I don't know if there is an issue with deleting the files from the master and moving them.  If so Please advise best method.  My thoughts are to open the master, delete all the files and save the master. 

I also have the issue of these files using a resource pool.  I know it is not best practice to move the files, however this is a directive that will not change.  I know this can lead to corruption so I am hoping to get the proper steps from someone to do this.  I believe that I should open the files and the pool as Read-Wright, go into each project file and tell it to use own resources, then save the file and the pool file.  Do I need to do a Save As?

Please advise best approach.

Thanks,

Leah

Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:07 PM

All replies

• Leah12,

I'd like to assume the pool file, master file and subproject files are all on the same drive and hopefully in the same folder but it sounds like that may not be the case. However, if they are all together, then moving the whole folder should work fine. If they are not all together, you're taking a gamble with eventual file corruption whether you move files or not.

In your first paragraph you talk about the master and subprojects. Unless there are tasks that actually belong to the master, there is no point in saving the master if you've deleted the subprojects. But, "delete" is not a good term. To properly disconnect the master from its subprojects, you should uncheck the "link to project" option on the Advanced tab of the Inserted Project Information window. Just select the summary line insertion point for each subproject and go to Task/Properties group/Information tab. Then save all subprojects and delete the master. If the master does have its own tasks, then obviously save the master also. However, once again, if the master and its subprojects are all in the same folder, you don't have to break that structure, just move the whole folder to the new location.

With regard to the resource pool/sharer file structure, the process you describe is the best (however it's "read-write" not "read-wright"). Personally I would use Save As back to the same file name on everything but I've been told that isn't necessary.

Good luck with the transition.

John

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your response.

The Files are all in the same folder.

The Master file serves only as a file to consolodate all the individual files.  I update the sub projects from this Master file and have a view that is used for weekly status meetings.  So no, it does not have any tasking.  I just want to make sure that I am not causing an issue if I "delete" the files from the master.  However, you state that I should "unlink" the files then delete them?  I just need to move them so if there isn't an issue with moving the folder I should be OK.  Just didn't want to take a chance on corrupting my files if there is a "correct" way to accomplish this.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Leah12,

If you are saying that everything, pool file, master and all subprojects are in the same folder then move the folder to the new location. That's all you need to do. However if one of those elements is in a different folder, then you should follow the process I outlined in my first response.

With regard to saving your master. If the only thing you want to preserve is a custom view, then you can move that view to your Global file so it will be available anytime you need to create a new master.

Let me clarify "delete" versus "unlink". They are two different things. If you simply delete the subprojects from the master, it will not necessarily break the link tag that resides in the subproject, thus leaving a link fragment which is a prime contributor for file corruption. You always want to disassociate a linked structure such that both ends of the link, (source tag and destination tag), are properly handled to produce a clean break. Once you unlink the structure, you do not need to delete anything, unless for example, you no longer need the now empty master.

John

Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:32 PM
  • John,

Thanks for the clarification.

Just so I am totally sure I understand.  I do have all the files in the same folder.  I don't need to break any links to move the folder.  Can I copy these or does this create an issue?  Is there any issue with moving these files to an external drive...jump drive...?  So that if I need to take these files to a conference room I can use the computer in the Conf Room to modify.

Friday, September 28, 2012 12:40 PM
  • Leah12,

If all files are in a single folder, you do not need to break anything or rebuild anything, just move the complete folder to the new location (drag & drop or copy the whole folder). Copying individual files of the structure DOES create an issue because it replicates the link structure and that is the seed for eventual corruption.

I've never tried it with an external drive but as long as you move the whole folder to the external drive, I see no reason why it won't work.

John

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:29 PM