Windows System Image manager RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I will build an image package based on my Server 2008 version.
    So far my server is running on   Dual core machine with Raid 1 controler and 2 SATA disk.

The question I have is that after building this image from a hardware system, does this image is hardware dependant ?

regards
    serge

Your experience is build from the one of others
    Monday, October 5, 2009 3:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Serge,

Since Vista/Server 2008 Images are Hardware-Independet, it should work so far.

Greetings

Christian
    Christian Groebner MVP Forefront
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Yes it is... (unless you added same hardware debending services). My tip to you is to build your reference images in virtual machines.

Monday, October 5, 2009 6:41 PM
  • you say :
    "My tip to you is to build your reference images in virtual machines"

Does it means that I can build freely a virtual machine with all application and setting I need and then build an image directly on this virtual machine and applying that image on the real sysem will work ?

My real ssyem has Raid controler and SATA drives, how can a virtual machine can know in image build that I need those Raid controler drivers if nor generating the image on the real system ?

thnaks for help
    regards
    serge
    Monday, October 5, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Hi Serge,

yes you can use a vm to set up a master-pc. Then sysprep this computer and use the caputre-image to put it into WDS.

The drivers for addiditional hardware you can include using a unattended.xml file. During setup the necessary drivers will dynamically loaded if necessary.

Greetings

Christian
    Monday, October 5, 2009 7:44 PM
  • Thnaks fro your reply
    I have check the getting started procedure of the WAIK pacakhe and in thre they explaina scenario where you have 2 pc.
    One is call Technician which is the one where you are generating the answer file and the second one called for example Master.

The thing I have understand is that you build from the Technician PC your unattended procedure, then you execute the image in the Master PC in order to verify it correct ?

But what I do not cacth for my case i that on which PC Technician or Master I am installing the tools and setting I need in order to Sysprep it ?

For examplem, I need to set some system settings and installed office. Then I need to sysprep that installation and then verify it that it is fully work.

Thnaks for your help
    serge
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Hi Serge,

the steps are the following:

1. Take a PC or VM and install all the OS and software you need and do some settings you want to do. A litte hint from my side: make a separate small formated partition on the hdd for later to temporary safe the image.
    2. Make a sysprep on this machine, so that the installation is neutral with no SID
    3. Start the master-pc/-vm from network and start the capture image (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766320(WS.10).aspx #to create a capture image)
    4. follow the steps from the assistant and temporarly safe the image on the separate partition. In the assistant you can say that you want to upload the image directly to wds
    5. after the image has successfully been uploaded you can take a second pc and boot that from network. in the boot menu select windows 7 and then you should be able to select the shortly created image from the master pc.

Hope that helps :-)

Greetings

Christian
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:56 PM
  • Thaks for your reply.

I catch point 1,2
    but I did not catch what you mean in point 2 by "Start the master-pc/-vm from network and start the capture image " ?

If I work only with VM fopr teh time beeing for testing , how many VM do I need to have, 3 ?

One for full install, one for master, and one to verify the image ?

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Hi Serge,

after you have sysprepped the pc you have to get the image into wds to make this image available to other pcs. So start the pc from which you want to create the image and select to boot from network (F12-Key). The client should connect to wds and should show the available boot-images. under these images there you have to select the capture image (see link in point 3).

It doesn't matter how many pc's you have. Normally you need 1 PC/VM to create the image and 1 PC/VM to test the deployment of the image and if all is working right.

Greetings

Christian
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:56 PM
  • So lets say that I have 2 VM then.

Let say I have VM_REF which is the system reference on which I will prepare the image
    Then VM_TEST is teh system that I need to install based on this image created in VM_REF.

So as you said I need to installa all my necessary stuff and setting on VM_REF, then I sysprep VM_REF. But in order to sysprep VM_REF I need to install the WAIK tool kit in order to generate the answer file and if I installt this tool kit on VM_REF, the the toolkit will be present in the final image then, and I do not want that as it is used only for building it ??

So how to do ?
    Sorry for basic question but documentation is not clear in that.

In the past I have used many time the sysprep on Windows 2000, and in order to work I add to copy the SYSPREP folder on the C drive and execute the sysprep from there, the it is automatically remove from the image. BUt here now the procedure seems a bit different

thnaks for help
    regards
    serge

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 7:52 PM
  • Don't install WAIK on your reference machine, install it somewhere else, create the unattend.xml file, and copy it to your reference machine
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 7:56 PM
  • I have understood that the sysper is done with this WAIK tool kit  no ?
    if not, then from where or which tool to sysprep the machine ? does the Sysprep.exe or bat file is part of the Server 2008 system file somewhere under Windows directory ?

thnaks for help
    serge
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:51 PM
  • Hi Serge,

you need WAIK only to create the unattended.xml file. So you can install the WAIK on a machine you want exept the master-pc. After you have installed the WAIK on a machine create the unattended.xml file and put it on the master pc or WDS if you using one.

Next step is to sysprep the master-pc. to do this logon to the master-pc press start->run and enter sysprep and execute sysprep. The pc is sealed after you finish sysprep.

Greetings

Christian
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:56 PM
  • Thnaks for your reply.
    I have test this sysprep utility on server 2008. Ok it works fine except that now I need ths sysprep utility to take care of my unattedend file created with WAIK.
    Where should I place my file on the system that I run sysprep on ?

thnaks for help
    regards
    serge
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Hi Serge,

If you use WDS you can apply the unattended.xml to the image in WDS. If you don't use WDS you have to put the xml-file on the master-pc.

For more details see:

http://www.shudnow.net/2008/05/05/unattended-server-2008-base-image-creation-using-wsimsysprep/

Greetings

Christian
    • Marked as answer by Tim Quan Friday, October 16, 2009 2:05 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 6:27 AM
  • HI cristian,

Thnaks for your reply.
    I will give a try
    • Proposed as answer by faisal durrani Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:44 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 8:54 AM
  • Dear Serge,

I would pref you to go for VM.

Install O/S and all Applications , drivers on VM.

Run sysprep to capture iamge without SID.

Regrds

Faisal Durrani

durranifaisal
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:49 PM