none
Does having Multiple drives to a library, benefit DPM? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a ts3310 library that was divived amongst serveral backup programs. I will be reclaiming the entire library for DPM. The library will have 4 lto drives in in it. Will DPM use these drives in pararllel when backing up to tape? thus decreasing my backup window, or will one drive perform the same as 4?
    • Moved by MarcReynolds Monday, January 10, 2011 2:02 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Friday, January 7, 2011 9:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM Supports Drive pooling so we can write to multiple tapes at a time - If the user specifies "drives allocated" as > 1 while creating the protection group, the data sources will be split across tapes. For e.g., if you have 5 data sources in a PG and drive max limit set to 2 - dpm may write 3 data sources on one tape and 2 data sources on another tape. Depending on the size of the datasources, other scheduled backup jobs to tape in other protection groups, and the number of tape drives available at the time, you may find an uneven distribution of datasources going to the various tapes.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 12:24 AM