List all documents (webparts) and sites dependent upon a certain solution. RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to uninstall a Sharepoint application template (GroupBoard Workspace to be exact) but I want to make sure nothing currently depends on it. I don't see any functions within stsadm that will tell me this information and I have even tried SPM which would work, but with such a huge site it's tedious to go through every single web and page to see which features are in use.

Is there a way (probably with SQL using the id from stsadm -o enumsolutions ) to list everything that relies on a template within a given solution, including webparts on custom pages? If this is not possible, what is the best way to check dependencies prior to uninstalling a solution (especially since GBW is not the only one on my axe list.)  Ultimately this ties into an upgrade path to SP2010, but I want to minimize/confirm what will break when this move is made.

Note: I know that stsadm -o deletesolution will stop me from removing something that is in use, but I want to actually see all of the things that are using something from a given solution.

blog TinyInt.Com | work Logicworks.Net
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 5:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post in this forum.

For the issue that you have encountered, here is the stsadm command; you may go to for help:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263384(office.12).aspx.

And besides these, I think you can use the webpart to achieve your goal.

Some other useful article:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4325997/how-to-list-and-edit-html-of-all-web-part-in-sharepoint-2007.

Hope this could help you!

Leo

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by tcnolan Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:33 PM
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:42 AM
  • Hi Leo, I'm not sure these are really of any help unfortunately. As I mentioned I have been unable to find an stsadm command that will do this, so providing the list of commands is somewhat redundant since I have already looked through it numerous times.  Regarding the StackOverflow solution, this seems to be completely unrelated to what I am trying to accomplish.  I see they mention iterating through all webpart pages, and while I see what their .Net code is doing, I'm not sure what the next steps would be with it.  Thanks for the help though!

Thanks,

Tom

blog TinyInt.Com | work Logicworks.Net
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 4:07 PM