Aero Snap 30 pixels from screen edge? RRS feed

• Question

• As I understand it, Aero Snap is supposed to snap when the mouse pointer touches the screen edge. And on two of my computers, it does just that. On the third, however, it activates when the mouse pointer is about 30 pixels away from the edge, which is annoying -- the only way to get a window to the edge is using the keyboard.

I suspect that this might be because I have a graphics tablet connected to the PC, and Windows originally considered the result a Tablet PC and installed all manner of features. I already uninstalled and disabled anything I could find, but that did not help.

The thing is, on another PC, I have an Intuos 4, and there, Snap works as advertised and only snaps when the pointer is on the outermost pixel.

What do I need to do to get Snap working like it should?
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi

There are some unknown elements.

What is the make and model of the PC where you are seeing this behavior. Also need the same info on the installed graphics card and the attached tablet device.

Does the tablet manufacturer support that device on Windows 7?

Did you perform a Custom (Clean) or Upgrade Install? What OS was on the system before upgrading?

Let us know.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Monday, February 15, 2010 10:06 AM
  • What is the make and model of the PC where you are seeing this behavior. Also need the same info on the installed graphics card and the attached tablet device.

Does the tablet manufacturer support that device on Windows 7?

Did you perform a Custom (Clean) or Upgrade Install? What OS was on the system before upgrading?
    The PC is a Wortmann Terra (that's a German OEM) standard PC (C2Q Q6600, G31 chipset), not a tablet at all. The graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO, the tablet is a Wacom Intuos3. Wacom offers a driver for Windows 7, so I think that yes, it is supported. OS is Windows 7 Professional 32-bit.

I did a clean install.

Thanks for your help.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 11:07 AM
  • Hi

Try running the Aero troubleshooter.

Open Control Panel/Troubleshooting.
    Under Appearance and Personalization, select the Display Aero desktop effects.

In the Troubleshooter dialog, click the Advanced link and place a check mark in the Apply Repairs Automatically option.

Click Next to run the troubleshooter.

Let us know the results.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, February 15, 2010 9:23 PM
  • "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem." And it didn't fix it, either.

Update: It's definitely something about the tablet. I just noticed that if I use anything but the pen, either a separate mouse or even the tablet's own, it works as expected.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:12 AM
  • "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem." And it didn't fix it, either.

Update: It's definitely something about the tablet. I just noticed that if I use anything but the pen, either a separate mouse or even the tablet's own, it works as expected.

Hi

I did some research on this and found other users reporting various issues with Windows 7 + Intuos 3 tablets.

I searched through the Wacom Knowledgebase and came up empty.

I would suggest you submit a support request with Wacom. They may already be aware of this issue. 

Wacom - Submit Help Request

Let us know what you find.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:07 AM
  • I agree that it may be because Windows is set up as a Tablet PC and it is trying to make it easier to operate with your fingers, which take up about 30 pixels of space.

I don't know how to disable this though.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:18 AM