Exchange 2007 SP3: Unable to mail-enabled new public folder RRS feed

• Question

• I migrate from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 (1 AD domain, 1 server).

Before install Exchange 2007 SP3 i have used the Exchange 2007 SP1 DVD to perform

SETUP /PrepareLegacyExchangePermissions 
    Setup.com /PrepareSchema
    Setup.com /PrepareAD

then i have installed Exchange 2007 SP3 and finally i remove the last Exchange 2003 in the organization.

I have done a manual remove of Exchange server 2003 because the Exchange 2003 uninstall do not complete the task

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb288905(EXCHG.80).aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396/

The Exchange 2007 working fine but there is a problem with AD Microsoft Exchange System Objects

here I found several entries that do not exist in the PF tree and if i create a new PF, this PF  is not present in AD Microsoft Exchange System Objects.

Further:

When I attempt to mail enable a new public folder from ESM I found 1 error and 1 warning in the Application event log:

Source:        MSExchangeSA
    Event ID:      9389
    Level:         Error
    Description: The task failed to correctly generate RUS information [Proxies, Addresslists, Policies included] for this object, error '800704db'. 

Source:        MSExchangeIS
    Event ID:      9543
    Level:         Warning
    Description: Unable to create Public Folder proxy object for folder "FolderName" in the Active Directory. 

If I try to Mail disable an older Exch2003 "mail enabled public folder" the task complete succesfully but after I cannot mail enable it again.

Seem that MS System Attendant would read and delete objects in AD Microsoft Exchange System Objects but it cannot create object in AD.

If I want to create a new mail contact there is an error again:

A proxy generator DLL on server SERVERNAME could not be found or failed to initialize.  Proxy addresses for the current recipient cannot be calculated.  Please ensure that all the proxy address generator DLLs have been installed on the target server.

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this ?

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:17 PM

All replies

• It looks like you have old address types in your e-mail address policies.  Get rid of all of them you don't need, like MS and CCMAIL.  All you really need for Exchange 2010 is SMTP, and while you have Exchange 2003 around, leave X400 in place.  Once you've removed Exchange 2003, you can get rid of that one too.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 10:21 PM
  • From Exchange 2007 ESM i see only an e-mail address policy named "Default Policy", and this one has only the SMTP and X400 addresses. 

I must remove the X400 support from the Default Policy in Exchange 2007?

What's about the Ms ExchangeSA error '800704db'?

I have looking in internet for that error without result...

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 7:50 AM
  • Maybe there is a wrong permission setting between AD MESO and Exchange 2007 PF.

Further test that was made:

I have set the Server Diagnostic Logging Properties to Expert level on the following services:

MsExchangeSA\Proxy Generator

MsExchangeIS\9001 Public\DS Synchronization

When i try to mail-enable a new PF i see this event in application log (from the oldest to the newest):

Date:          09/10/2013 12:20:51
    Task Category: General
    Description:
    The task failed to correctly generate RUS information [Proxies, Addresslists, Policies included] for this object, error '80040102' 

Description:
    Unable to create Public Folder proxy object for folder "test" in the Active Directory. 

Source:        MSExchangeIS Public Store
    Event ID:      3082
    Description:
    Error 0x80004005 occurred while synchronizing the Active Directory with the Public Folder Store "Second Storage Group\Public Folder Database" where folder /O=ORGANIZATION NAME/OU=EXCHANGE ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=TEST2FDB8B154DA8C6AF0F58ADAF8B24BCF9327E7C is located. 

Description:
    The task failed to correctly generate RUS information [Proxies, Addresslists, Policies included] for this object, error '800704db'. 

Description:
    Unable to create Public Folder proxy object for folder "test" in the Active Directory. 

Description:
    Error 0x80004005 occurred while synchronizing the Active Directory with the Public Folder Store "Second Storage Group\Public Folder Database" where folder /O=ORGANIZATION NAME/OU=EXCHANGE ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=TEST2FDB8B154DA8C6AF0F58ADAF8B24BCF9327E7C is located. 

I have looking in internet for MsExchange SA error '80040102' or '800704db' without success.

Maybe the last Error (0x80004005 MSExchangeIS Public Store) is the most clear: there is a synchronization problem from objects in MESO and  Exchange 2007 PF. 

How I can fix this?

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 10:53 AM
  • What do you see in Exchange 2003 ESM?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:58 PM
  • In Exchange 2003 ESM i see all the public folder i can see on Exchange 2007 ESM

In Exchange 2003 ESM the PF list is under

Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT) \ Folders \ Public Folders

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 6:26 PM
  • No, what do you see in Recipient Policy?

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 8:52 PM
  • Hi GaspareC,

For error 80040102, I recommend you to follow the steps below for troubleshooting.

1. Please go to ADSIEDIT.MSC and expand the Configuration Container.

CN=Services
    CN=Microsoft Exchange
    CN=Your Exchange Org
    CN=Administrative Group
    CN=First Administrative Group

2. Highlight CN=Folder Hierarchies. On the right pane, highlight CN=Public Folders and select properties. Scroll down to find the msExchPFTreeType attribute and set the value to 1.

3. Dismount the PF store and then mount it.

For error 0x80004005, I recommend you to do the following steps.

1. Please run the regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServer\Winreg

2. Add Read and Full Control to this key for the Exchange administrator or Domain Administrator (whomever is logged onto the Exchange server and is trying to make set the logging).

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Amy

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:20 AM
  • In Recipient Policy i see the Default Policy (the same that i see on EXCH2007).

It has one filter rule (mailNickname=*) and one generation rule (SMTP %m@MyFQDN) because i have removed the X400 generation rule from ESM 2007.

I create again the X400 rule from ESM2007, and then i can see the same settings on the ESM2003

Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:19 AM
  • Hi Amy,

thanks for your response, but the settings you have suggested are already in place.

For error 80040102: the msExchPFTreeType attribute is already set to 1.

For error 0x80004005: I have run regedit on the Exchange 2007 server (that has Hub transport and Mailbox role) and the Winreg key has FULL control permission for the local Administratos group (that include Domain admins). Also I have looked for Effective permission in Advanced Settings typing the administrator account that I use to manage the Exchange Server and it has FULL control on the Winreg Key.

The same is on the other Exchange 2007 server (web server) that has only the CAS role, and in the 3 DC (windows 2003) that is deployed in my organization.

Is there a way to check if the permission settings on the MESO in AD are right?

Best regards

Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:54 AM
  • Error 80040102: there isn't the CN=First Administrative Group

ADSIEDIT Configuration Container

CN=Services
    CN=Microsoft Exchange
    CN=Your Exchange Org
    CN=Administrative Group
    CN=CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)
    CN=Folder Hierarchies
    CN=Public Folders

Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:32 AM
  • There is also the OLD administrative group (used by Exchange 2003) named MyOrg, but the Folder Hierarchies is empty

CN=Services
    CN=Microsoft Exchange
    CN=Your Exchange Org
    CN=Administrative Group
    CN=MyOrg
    CN=Folder Hierarchies
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:36 AM
  • Hi Amy,

Unfortunately the thread you have post do not apply.

the proxyAddresses attributes in CN=default policies is already empty.

Can you post what are the default permission settings on the Exchange System Object in AD?

best regards

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:36 AM
  • You wrote that you manually had removed the last Exchange 2003 in your ORG, so why are you using Exchange System Manager (ESM)??

Only mailenabled public folders will show up in MESO and if you need to mailenable other folders, you must use EMC or EMS in Exchange 2007.

Since you removed your last Exchange 2003 manually, there might be some steps that you missed (like deleting RUS using ADSIEdit for example) so pls check out the below TechNet Article

How to Remove the Last Legacy Exchange Server from an Organization
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb288905(v=exchg.80).aspx

Martina Miskovic

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:50 AM
  • When i try to mail enable a public folder i got this error:

Log Name:      Application

Date:          15/10/2013 11:15:30
    Task Category: Replication Errors
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      mail2.fqdn
    Description:
    Error 0x80004005 occurred while synchronizing the Active Directory with the Public Folder Store "Second Storage Group\Public Folder Database" where folder /O=ORG_NAME/OU=EXCHANGE ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=COMMISSIONE_I2FDB8B154DA8C6AF0F58ADAF8B24BCF91E7B82 is located.

Maybe there is a permission problem (error 80004005)?

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:20 AM
  • Hi Martina,

I have installed ESM2003 again on the old exchange 2003 server, because Ed Crowley ask to me: What do you see in Exchange 2003 ESM? (see post above)...

I have deleted RUS Enterprise rule using ASDIEDIT as reported on the Technet article

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb288905(v=exchg.80).aspx

Is it possibile that the problem arise after was performed the step 6 reported in "To remove the last Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 server from an Exchange 2007 organization"  on the Technet article that you have post?

STEP 6:

After the last Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 server has been removed from the Exchange 2007 organization, the Write DACL inherit (group) right for the Exchange Servers group should be removed from the root of the domain by running the following command:

Remove-ADPermission "dc=<Domain>" -user "<RootDomain>\Exchange Enterprise Servers" -AccessRights WriteDACL -InheritedObjectType Group

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:12 AM
  • Consider that my Echange organization start with Exchange 5.5 that was migrated to Exchange 2003 and finally to Exchange 2007. 

Maybe there was a mistake in the manual remove of the Exchange 2003 Server, because now i do not have the "First Administrative Group" in my Exchange Organization.

I have only the first administrative group named "MyORG" (maybe Exchange 5.5 version) and the Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT) that is the 2007 version.

You can see what ESM2003 report at the following jpeg image
    http://oi43.tinypic.com/hte7v6.jpg

Best regards

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:35 AM
  • Please try dismounting all public folder databases and mounting them again.  It's just a wild-ass guess, but I've seen that fix a lot of things with public folder replication.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:46 PM