none
Prevent Duplicate Registry Files For Windows 8 Apps

Question

• After re-installing our custom image of Windows 8.1 Pro to a Lenovo Yoga 11e, updating Windows 8.1 Pro, getting on our domain (which is Windows Server Data Center 2012 R2 and we suspect it to possibly be a wrong group policy), and possibly some other step (which could possibly be downloading apps from our Software Center but who knows at this point) we have an issue where the tiles in the start menu do not work. They are refusing to come up, load, turn on, boot up, or whatever you call it. They do their little flippy thing and then it takes me right back to the start menu. Looking at the Event Viewer (Applications and Services\Microsoft\Windows\Apps\Microsof-Windows-TWinUI) I get the error of

"The app microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_Microsoft.WindowsLive.Mail's package family (microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps) has more than one package installed. This is not supported, so the app was not activated for the Windows.Launch contract."

This is the error that shows up after I click on "Mail" at the start menu a million times. So then I do more research and the fix is to go to "REGEDIT.exe" and navigate to  "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Families\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps" and delete the duplicates. This solves the issue. But my million dollar question here is why does this specific issue happen and how do we prevent it in the future? We have thousands of laptops and for this issue to persist, this fix really isn't going to cut it.

Wednesday, September 02, 2015 2:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Jacob,

Thanks for posting in Group Policy forum. I haven't seen any report of any group policies that will cause this kind of issue.

So this happens right after you join the domain? Is it possible to have a test prior to joining the domain? This will help to determine whether domain settings/Group Policies are involved here.

You might also want to try in the dedicated Windows 8.1 forum and see if anyone there can share some clues:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=w8itpro

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 04, 2015 9:05 AM
  • After doing more tests I have found that after joining our domain the user that is initially logged in has no problems with the registry. It is only after logging into a domain account that the registry becomes duplicated and only for the domain account user. This happens for every domain user logging in. Then logging back into the initial user "local student account" the registry is unharmed. 
    Friday, September 04, 2015 3:11 PM
  • Have you ever checked any GPO deployed in your env? Or maybe no actual policy setting is involved here, just the domain join activity is causing the issue?
    Tuesday, September 08, 2015 11:39 AM
  • Any policy about Microsoft Store?
    Tuesday, September 08, 2015 11:42 AM
  • There are no policies limiting the Microsoft Store. We have looked through the GPO and it seems that there is no policy setting involved that can cause the duplication of the Windows Apps Registry Files after logging in as a domain user. We do not have applocker on, and if it was some policy issue I think the log errors would say that the applications were blocked instead of being duplicated. We have no idea how this can be happening.
    Tuesday, September 08, 2015 3:01 PM
  • Probably, try to run promon and see what exact process is creating this dup regs...
    Monday, September 14, 2015 10:27 AM