Internet Explorer 11 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have a lot of apps or more like URL's that we package either for ease of use for the user, plugin reasons, java version dependencies, etc where we include running the local version of IE. for example:

PARAMETERS="http://www.google.com" FILENAME="c:\PROGRAM FILES\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"

This works great, especially with pre IE11. When IE11 came out and we ran these it would launch then immediately close. What I found was that if I allowed local interaction it would resolve this issue.

<LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>TRUE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>

But then a new issue started. When an app is packaged with Java and local interaction is enabled, there is trouble. The Java acts strange and the application breaks. Simply turning the TRUE to FALSE above fixes this but breaks IE11 (works with IE8-10).

Does anyone know how to get IE11 working without having to enable Local Interaction? Or any other method not described? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Friday, October 3, 2014 1:53 PM

Answers

• You don't mention what App-V version you're using.

If you're on 4.6 SP3, install HF1: Hotfix Package 1 for Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.6 Service Pack 3.

Issue 1

When Internet Explorer tries to start in the virtual environment, it either cannot start or cannot access the virtual environment after it starts.

Internet Explorer 10 and Internet Explorer 11 include enhanced protected mode (EPM). By default, Internet Explorer 11 has this mode enabled. In this mode, Internet Explorer tabs are started as a very limited AppContainer process. In this case, the inserted App-V 4.6 .dll file cannot initialize correctly in the AppContainer process, and Internet Explorer cannot start.

Monday, October 6, 2014 8:42 AM
  • I remember hearing about (but never got around to testing) an issue where IE11 does not like it if its first ever launch is in the virtual environment.

So if you are updating IE, then testing your virtual app straight away, try launching IE natively first and let it do its initial setup routine.

Dan Gough
    UK App-V MVP

packageology.com
    @packageologist
    LinkedIn

Friday, October 10, 2014 1:15 PM

All replies

• You don't mention what App-V version you're using.

If you're on 4.6 SP3, install HF1: Hotfix Package 1 for Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.6 Service Pack 3.

Issue 1

When Internet Explorer tries to start in the virtual environment, it either cannot start or cannot access the virtual environment after it starts.

Internet Explorer 10 and Internet Explorer 11 include enhanced protected mode (EPM). By default, Internet Explorer 11 has this mode enabled. In this mode, Internet Explorer tabs are started as a very limited AppContainer process. In this case, the inserted App-V 4.6 .dll file cannot initialize correctly in the AppContainer process, and Internet Explorer cannot start.

Monday, October 6, 2014 8:42 AM
  • Good point, I did leave out the versions by accident. Here's what we have.

Server:  4.5.3.19480

Client: 4.6.3.24870

RDP Client: 4.6.0.20200

However this is weird, this morning I am unable to reproduce the issue on several boxes I was testing on. We have had the issue for months on every launch 100% reproducible. I had changed the tagline to TRUE a while back and hadn't come back to the issue until now. I'm going to do some more testing but maybe a patch was rolled that resolved it. I'll be back shortly.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Monday, October 6, 2014 3:06 PM
  • So, your Client is on SP3 (no HF) and as Ben mentiond, installing HF1 for that might fix the issue.

On your RDS servers you have 4.6 without any SPs or HFs. I know itmight be difficult, but you should consider updating it to a more current version. 

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:26 AM
  • I remember hearing about (but never got around to testing) an issue where IE11 does not like it if its first ever launch is in the virtual environment.

So if you are updating IE, then testing your virtual app straight away, try launching IE natively first and let it do its initial setup routine.

Dan Gough
    UK App-V MVP

packageology.com
    @packageologist
    LinkedIn

Friday, October 10, 2014 1:15 PM