Massive laptop battery life decline after SSD install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently swapped my Toshiba 160GB 5400RPM HDD with a Kingston 240GB SSD. I imaged my old system and brought it over to the SSD. After the swap I've had decreased boot and restart times and much quicker response to actions such as loading resource intensive programs, but my CPU fan is now spinning constantly which is draining the battery at about 4x the normal rate.

CPU is a 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo and it is now hovering between 40% and 50% where before the image and swap it was consistently below 10%. My hypothesis is that the CPU usage and fan action is killing the battery.

The issue seems very similar to what was happening in this thread (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/64a945ae-d252-4e5d-a1a3-3b7646ac5df9/cpu-usage-high-after-ssd-upgrade?forum=w8itproperf) so I followed the instructions to get a Windows Performance Recorder reading. My culprit seems to be taskhost.exe as opposed to MSOSYNC.exe.

How can I bring the Host process back to the levels I was experiencing before the image and SSD install?

Thanks in advance

• Edited by Titanium3 Sunday, December 28, 2014 7:17 PM Mistake
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 7:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Titanium3,

Since you have found out the culprit is taskhost.exe.

TASKHOST is a generic process which acts as a host for processes that run from DLLs rather than EXEs. At startup TASKHOST checks the Services portion of the Registry to construct a list of DLL-based services that it needs to load, and then loads them. There can be many instances of TASKHOST running, as there will be one instance of TASKHOST for every DLL-based service or grouping of services.

Killing the process directly is not practicable. There may be several sub threads in this process. To analyze this process further ,I recommend you to work with Process Explorer to have a check.

Here is the Process Explorer downloading link:

Process Explorer v16.04

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Best regards

Monday, December 29, 2014 10:42 AM