Backup Windows Server 2012 VM on Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V Saved State?!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 failover Cluster and I installed a new VM running Windows Server 2012. When I configured the backup to this VM using DPM 2012, the backup is offline (Saved State). 

I've checked with diskshadow and the Hyper-V vss writer, always gives me the same thing, backup to this VM will be using saved state.

Why can't I run an online backup, using snapshot? Is'it a problem with Hyper-V R2 and Windows 2012 Child VM?

Note: I already checked all the conditions why the backup of a VM could be running on saved state and none of them are applicable to my scenario.

Regards,

Carlos.

Friday, January 4, 2013 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Carlos.

Are you running sp1 of DPM 2012 ?

Can you verify that the integrations tools are installed and running

If you use the Windows Server Backup Role are they using saved state also ?

my blog is at http://flemmingriis.com , let me know if you found the post or blog helpfull or leaves room for improvement

Friday, January 4, 2013 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

No, I don't have DPM 2012 SP1 installed, yet. But the hyper-v vss writer tells me that the backup to that VM will use saved state, so I don't think it's a DPM issue.

Yes, I installed integration tools.

No, Windows Server Backup is not an option.

Regards,

Carlos.

Friday, January 4, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Hi,

No, I don't have DPM 2012 SP1 installed, yet. But the hyper-v vss writer tells me that the backup to that VM will use saved state, so I don't think it's a DPM issue.

Yes, I installed integration tools.

No, Windows Server Backup is not an option.

Regards,

Carlos.

Well SP1 is a requirement i would remove the DPM agent and try with Windows Server just to see if its the same behavior and then install a supported version of DPM

my blog is at http://flemmingriis.com , let me know if you found the post or blog helpfull or leaves room for improvement

Friday, January 4, 2013 6:16 PM
  • Hi,

What’s the service pack version of your Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V host?

Windows Server 2012, supported to be installed on a server running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1), with a hotfix applied. To read about and download the hotfix, see:

You cannot run a Windows 8-based or Windows Server 2012-based virtual machine in Windows Server 2008 or in Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2744129

From Microsoft DPM article, DPM 2010 supports online backups for guests running Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2003. That doesn’t mention guest running Windows Server 2012. For more information please refer to following MS articles:

About Virtual Machines and Guest Operating Systems
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794868
    Protecting Hyper-V
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399536.aspx
    Conditions When DPM Fails to Back up Hyper-V Virtual Machines in an Online State
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399205.aspx

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Lawrence, Monday, January 7, 2013 5:50 AM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Hi,

What’s the current situation? Have you backed up your VM?

Please give us feedback for further troubleshooting. If there is anything that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to let us know, and we will be happy to help.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:19 AM
  • Hi Carlos,

Check this article > http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/requirements-for-live-backup-of-a-hyper-v-guest-vm-hyper-v-vss-writer/

It's meant for people that use Altaro Hyper-V Backup but it's applicable to any other backup application.

Good Luck.

David

• Edited by Altaro Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:46 AM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:46 AM
  • Hi,

We have a case opened with Microsoft and they already have reproduced the issue in Lab. I must say that we are able to backup more than 30 virtual machines online without any problem (Windows 2003, 2008 and 2008 R2 guests).

The support technician told me that the next step will be install SP1 for DPM 2012 and test the backup.

At this time and don't have the confirmation that I'm facing an unsupported scenario and Microsoft is working on the case.

Regards.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:23 PM
  • Hi Carlos,
    I have the same problem with same symptoms through IBM Tivoli Backup.

I think it is a problem with the VSS backup and not with DPM.

This KB did not solve my problem. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958662/en-us

Please, submit here the Microsoft solution case.

Tks.

MCITP|Enterprise Administrator

Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Hi,

the last answer from Microsoft about this case was:

"Hello Carlos,

I will  go straight to the bad message - there are unfortunately no current plans to create a fix for this - however with that being said it is not impossible that a fix will be available if more customers are demanding it and it is possible to make it from a code perspective."

This is not a DPM problem, but a Hyper-V, VSS, IC's issue. 

We are in trouble, because this mean that we have to upgrade our Hyper-V Cluster to 2012 and upgrade DPM 2012 SP1 to support backups on the new Hyper-V Cluster.

Regards,

Carlos Monteiro.

• Proposed as answer by AMNoronha Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:31 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Hello,

any news on the topic?

We are facing the same issues.

Hyper-V 2008 R2 SP1 with DPM 2012 SP1. We are not able to backup Windows 2012 Virtual Machines online, only with saved states. Really a shame.

Thanks,

Thomas

Friday, February 15, 2013 2:10 PM
  • One solution is to upgrade the Hyper-V host server to 2012.  I was in the same boat until I upgraded the hosts last weekend.  Now everything (including the 2008 R2 virtuals) backup properly. 

Previous post on http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmhypervbackup/thread/2ceb4087-d495-4406-ab0e-08c3405a764e/ helped point me in the right direction.  "Mike Jacquet" pointed out it was host integration...and it made me think about possible compatibility, so I finally upgraded my hosts.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:12 PM
  • I have a 2008 R2 Sp1 HyperV Cluster with 40 VHD's.  30 of these are 2008R2 and backup fine using DPM Live snapshots.  The other 10 are server 2012 VHD's and we just realized they are all backing up performing an offline backup.

Are we indicating from this posting that DPM 2012 Sp1 is unable to backup Server 2012 VHD's being hosted on a 2008 R2 Cluster using Live snaps and only offline snaps? 

We have also verifed the common items below and do not qualify for any of these.

Conditions when DPM fails to back up Hyper-V virtual machines in an online state

By default, System Center 2012 – Data Protection Manager (DPM) performs a backup of a Hyper-V Virtual Machine (VM) in an online state. However, DPM cannot back up a Hyper-V VM in an online state, if one or more of the following conditions are true:

• Backup (Volume Snapshot) Integration Service is disabled or not installed.
    • The virtual machine has one or more dynamic disks.
    • The virtual machine has one or more non-NTFS based volumes.
    • The virtual machine Cluster Resource Group in a cluster setup is offline.
    • The virtual machine is not in a running state.
    • A ShadowStorage assignment of a volume inside the virtual machine is explicitly set to a different volume other than itself.
    • An App-V drive is installed on the virtual machine that creates a non-NTFS volume.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:34 PM
  • Hi,

the last answer from Microsoft about this case was:

"Hello Carlos,

I will  go straight to the bad message - there are unfortunately no current plans to create a fix for this - however with that being said it is not impossible that a fix will be available if more customers are demanding it and it is possible to make it from a code perspective."

This is not a DPM problem, but a Hyper-V, VSS, IC's issue. 

We are in trouble, because this mean that we have to upgrade our Hyper-V Cluster to 2012 and upgrade DPM 2012 SP1 to support backups on the new Hyper-V Cluster.

Regards,

Carlos Monteiro.

Is there a KB that states this is a known issue? If there is one with a feedback link I bet they would get plenty of requests for a fix. I would be one of them!
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 2:41 AM
  • Same problem here with NetApp snap manger. MS needs to fix this
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 2:42 AM
  • Same problem here!!!!!!

Situation:

- Physical server: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

- Guest OS: Windows Server 2012 / 2012 R2 (I have VMs with both OS)

- Backup software: Windows Server Backup (just the one that come with Windows Server 2008 R2).

The same issue, when the backup starts the VMs are saved.

So, is not a problem of DPM, is just a problem of VSS of Windows Server 2008 R2.

Cristian L Ruiz

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:17 PM
  • Hi,

I managed to workarround this issue with the following:

·         Windows 2012 server Guests running on Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-v are placed in saved state during DPM backup.

Mike JacquetMicrosoft EmployeeFriday, February 08, 2013 4:52 PM

You are using DPM 2010/2012/2012 Sp1 to backup Windows 2008 (R2) hyper-v guests and observe that Windows 2012 server / Windows 8 guest VM's only get the option "Backup using saved state". But you want to backup it using child partition snapshot.

Cause ==== The integration components built-in to Windows 2012 Server / Windows 8 are not compatible with down level Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V writer.

Solution ===== You need to upgrade the Windows 2008 Hyper-V server to Windows 2012 Hyper-V Server.

FYI - Windows Hyper-V forum post stating the same: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/b687fa93-4de7-4c88-af69-06bb6bf494be

UPDATE-1 ======= What we found is that the Hyper-V integration components needs to have scoped VSS snapshots to be turned off in order to support hot backups. This is a new feature apparently in Win8/2012 and the default is enabled.

Implement this registry key on EACH VM that is Windows 8 or Windows 2012 to resolve the issue:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore REG_DWORD ScopeSnapshots 0x0 See the additional info on scoped snapshots. 

Regards,

Carlos Monteiro.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Same problem here!!!!!!

Situation:

- Physical server: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

- Guest OS: Windows Server 2012 / 2012 R2 (I have VMs with both OS)

- Backup software: Windows Server Backup (just the one that come with Windows Server 2008 R2).

The same issue, when the backup starts the VMs are saved.

So, is not a problem of DPM, is just a problem of VSS of Windows Server 2008 R2.

Cristian L Ruiz

Searching in Internet i found a solution for Windows Server 2012 Guest VMs (but does not work for 2012 R2). I have a VM of each, one with 2012 and the other one with 2012 R2, and doing the same solution I could made a VSS backup only for the 2012 VM, and the 2012 R2 was saved.

The solution is to créate the following value in the registry of the guest OS:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
    REG_DWORD ScopeSnapshots 0×0

http://mvanvliet.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/issue-windows-server-2012-virtual-machines-can-only-be-backed-up-using-saved-state/

Cristian L Ruiz

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:27 PM
  • Any further updates on this? Anyone ever find a hotfix? I have looked but have yet to find one.

Friday, May 30, 2014 5:57 PM