Installation Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install SQL Server 2014 on W10. SQL Server installed, but failed to create a server that be connected to. SQL Server Configuration Manager has no options for creating a server either. How do I create the server.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 4:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Installation location:         C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\en_sql_server_2014_management_studio_with_service_pack_1_x64_6673935\x64\setup\
      Installation edition:          Express

As per above logs and what you have posted you already have SQL Server 2014 SSMS installed completely. You only downloaded SSMS with SP1 you did not downloaded database engine that is why you dont have any engine to connect to. SSMS is just a tool used to connect to SQL Server its actually not the SQL Server DB engine.

What you have to do is download below file from this link

ExpressAdv 64BIT\SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe

After this install it and you would get database engine which you can connect from SSMS

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Sunday, August 9, 2015 6:12 AM

All replies

• Can I ask what all components you installed? For setting up a server instance you need to install Database Engine component

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 4:56 AM
    Answerer
  • I am trying to install SQL Server 2014 on W10. SQL Server installed, but failed to create a server that be connected to. SQL Server Configuration Manager has no options for creating a server either. How do I create the server.

Can you share contents of summry.txt file with us. it would be located at

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 5:17 AM
  • The Summary log has little to say, except that it thinks I am installing on W8. I am installing on W10. How do I get support for SQL Server installation issues. The installation failed to create a server and configuration manager won't allow me to create one either.
    Overall summary:
      Final result:                  Passed
      Exit code (Decimal):           0
      Start time:                    2015-08-04 21:25:45
      End time:                      2015-08-04 21:25:55
      Requested action:              RunRules

Machine Properties:
      Machine name:                  MOONBEAM-01
      Machine processor count:       4
      OS version:                    Windows 8
      OS service pack:               
      OS region:                     United States
      OS language:                   English (United States)
      OS architecture:               x64
      Process architecture:          64 Bit
      OS clustered:                  No

Product features discovered:
      Product              Instance             Instance ID                    Feature                                  Language             Edition              Version         Clustered  Configured
      SQL Server 2014                                                          Management Tools - Basic                 1033                 Express Edition      12.1.4100.1     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2014                                                          Management Tools - Complete              1033                 Express Edition      12.1.4100.1     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2014                                                          Client Tools Connectivity                1033                 Express Edition      12.1.4100.1     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2014                                                          Client Tools Backwards Compatibility     1033                 Express Edition      12.1.4100.1     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2014                                                          Client Tools SDK                         1033                 Express Edition      12.1.4100.1     No         Yes       

Package properties:
      Description:                   Microsoft SQL Server 2014 
      ProductName:                   SQL Server 2014
      Type:                          RTM
      Version:                       12
      SPLevel:                       0
      Installation location:         C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\en_sql_server_2014_management_studio_with_service_pack_1_x64_6673935\x64\setup\

User Input Settings:
      ACTION:                        RunRules
      CONFIGURATIONFILE:             
      ENU:                           true
      FEATURES:                      
      HELP:                          false
      IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS:  false
      INDICATEPROGRESS:              false
      INSTANCENAME:                  <empty>
      PID:                           *****
      QUIET:                         false
      QUIETSIMPLE:                   false
      RULES:                         SCCCheckRules
      UIMODE:                        AutoAdvance
      X86:                           false

Configuration file:            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20150804_212544\ConfigurationFile.ini

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

There are no scenario-specific rules.

Rules report file:               C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20150804_212544\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

Friday, August 7, 2015 9:59 PM
  • Hi,

As per above logs and what you have posted you already have SQL Server 2014 SSMS installed completely. You only downloaded SSMS with SP1 you did not downloaded database engine that is why you dont have any engine to connect to. SSMS is just a tool used to connect to SQL Server its actually not the SQL Server DB engine.

What you have to do is download below file from this link

ExpressAdv 64BIT\SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe

After this install it and you would get database engine which you can connect from SSMS

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Sunday, August 9, 2015 6:12 AM