none
Enable TLS 1.2 for Securing SQL Server Connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

I have a database server on version 2017 (standard edition) with build 14.0.3192.2 and there's no any encryption method being applied in the SQL server. Due to security concern, I decide to secure SQL server connection by implementing TLS 1.2. 

The main concern is do I need to make any changes on the web/application server or the coding part? Together with the connection string? 

Hope can get some advice here. 

Thanks. 

Best Regards, 

Han 

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 11:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Harn,

>>The main concern is do I need to make any changes on the web/application server or the coding part? Together with the connection string? 

First you have to check if your server supports tls1.2, servers with .Net 4.6 framework by default support TLS 1.2.  Then check to see if the drive used by the  web/application supports tls1.2.(For example, you must use at least odbc driver 14 or higher to support tls1.2)

//string connectionString = "Driver={SQL Server};Server=SPACESHIP;Database=pubs;"; 
    string connectionString = "DRIVER={ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server};Server=SPACESHIP;Database=pubs;Trusted_Connection=yes;";

For more details, please refer to  http://dba-datascience.com/ssl-or-tls-encryption-on-sql-server/

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Harn,

>>The main concern is do I need to make any changes on the web/application server or the coding part? Together with the connection string? 

First you have to check if your server supports tls1.2, servers with .Net 4.6 framework by default support TLS 1.2.  Then check to see if the drive used by the  web/application supports tls1.2.(For example, you must use at least odbc driver 14 or higher to support tls1.2)

//string connectionString = "Driver={SQL Server};Server=SPACESHIP;Database=pubs;"; 
    string connectionString = "DRIVER={ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server};Server=SPACESHIP;Database=pubs;Trusted_Connection=yes;";

For more details, please refer to  http://dba-datascience.com/ssl-or-tls-encryption-on-sql-server/

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:16 AM
  • Thanks for the advice. Will take note on that. :) 

Best Regards, 

Harn 

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:14 AM