Startup delay RRS feed

• Question

• I have found that ever since I put a new graphic card (Radeon HD 5450 Graphics card / PCI Express 2.1 Bus) in my Dell Inspiron 531S I have had a 45sec wait before anything happens. For better understanding..

When I push the on button or restart my computer, it take at least 45 seconds before I hear the fans and see the lights on the motherboard come to life.

I know something is wrong because that did not happen before.

Also, My computer is clean as far as I know, but still my computer run slow and half the time it tell me that the program is not responding. If I leave it alone and show some patience the program will continue. Once again That's not the way the computer was working just a month ago. I'm open to suggestions....

Info about my cpu

Dell Inspiron 531S / Processor = AMD Sempron (tm) Processor LE - 1250  2.20 Ghz / 4GB memory / 32bit OS / Win 7 service pack1 / 250GB HDD + 500GB HDD USB attached

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:33 PM

Answers

• Hi

I would ask you  couple of things here does your system stops responding since you installed the graphic card or it just takes time to boot. you can do few things

if it takes time to boot up Run>Msconfig>system Configuration> BOOT (select this Tab) and on the Right hand time out is 30 seconds change it 3 seconds

you can select the NO GUI Boot . If you select it windows screen will no longer come up apart from this

Right Click computer Icon >property>Advance system settings >Advance select the first setting option >Visual Effects>Adjust for the best performence

3. you can increase the paging file size as well to improve the performence computer Icon >property>Advance system settings >Advance  >setting (first settings)

>Advance>change and increase the paging file size

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:57 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

Please check your disk for errors.

Also, test the issue again in Safe Mode.

If issue still occurs in Safe Mode, I would like to suggest double checking your hardware.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Jeremy_Wu Monday, August 27, 2012 2:10 AM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 4:34 AM
  • Right off the bat it sounds to me like you need a more powerful power supply to run that new graphics card of yours.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:58 AM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 6:42 PM
  • Hi. That is not a software problem. Either the graphics card is faulty or your power supply is really weak to give the extra power to your graphics card. But since the 5450 consumes maximum power of only 20 Watts, I suspect that it is the card itself which is faulty. The problem you are facing is that the POST(Power On Self Test) takes a long time. When you turn on your PC, it will check whether key components like CPU, RAM(s), Graphics card and motherboard are working properly. So the longer time it takes, the longer the time is after which you get display. This has nothing to do with Windows. I suggest you try a different graphics card to see if that problem occurs.
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hi

I would ask you  couple of things here does your system stops responding since you installed the graphic card or it just takes time to boot. you can do few things

if it takes time to boot up Run>Msconfig>system Configuration> BOOT (select this Tab) and on the Right hand time out is 30 seconds change it 3 seconds

you can select the NO GUI Boot . If you select it windows screen will no longer come up apart from this

Right Click computer Icon >property>Advance system settings >Advance select the first setting option >Visual Effects>Adjust for the best performence

3. you can increase the paging file size as well to improve the performence computer Icon >property>Advance system settings >Advance  >setting (first settings)

>Advance>change and increase the paging file size

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

Please check your disk for errors.

Also, test the issue again in Safe Mode.

If issue still occurs in Safe Mode, I would like to suggest double checking your hardware.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Jeremy_Wu Monday, August 27, 2012 2:10 AM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 4:34 AM
  • Right off the bat it sounds to me like you need a more powerful power supply to run that new graphics card of yours.
    Friday, August 24, 2012 6:42 PM
  • Hi. That is not a software problem. Either the graphics card is faulty or your power supply is really weak to give the extra power to your graphics card. But since the 5450 consumes maximum power of only 20 Watts, I suspect that it is the card itself which is faulty. The problem you are facing is that the POST(Power On Self Test) takes a long time. When you turn on your PC, it will check whether key components like CPU, RAM(s), Graphics card and motherboard are working properly. So the longer time it takes, the longer the time is after which you get display. This has nothing to do with Windows. I suggest you try a different graphics card to see if that problem occurs.
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:18 PM