none
How do I remove All Programs from appearing in Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows SteadyState for a library setup and I have all restrictions set for the user.  My problems is that I would like to have most of the All Programs menu choices not to be displayed and just have the user use the shortcuts on the desktop.  Is that possible with SteadyState.  Also the setup is not in a domain environment.

Friday, August 31, 2007 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Dldab,

Please understand that SteadyState doesn’t have the feature to hide “All Programs” from Start menu. However, we can hide “All Programs” through registry or group policy:

Registry change to hide “All Programs” from Start menu
    -----------------------------------------------------
    You can create a Text Document and copy the following content to the Document. Then save the document as Allprogramsdisable.reg. Then, you can import the registry key by double click the REG file. Log off and then logon to the computer to apply the change.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoStartMenuMorePrograms"=dword:00000001

To undo the change: You can save the following content as UndoAllprogramsdisable.reg and then apply it with the same method:

"NoStartMenuMorePrograms"=dword:00000000

To deploy the above registry key to multiple users, you may consider deploying a logon script.

Group Policy
    ----------------------
    1. Click Start and then click Run. Type in GPEDIT.MSC and click OK. (For Windows XP Professional Edition)
    2. Navigate to the following branch to enable related group policy:

Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Remove All Programs list from the Start menu

3. Log off and then logon to apply the policy.

Please let me know the result after performing one of the above methods.

Best Regards,

Monday, September 3, 2007 10:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Dldab,

Please understand that SteadyState doesn’t have the feature to hide “All Programs” from Start menu. However, we can hide “All Programs” through registry or group policy:

You can create a Text Document and copy the following content to the Document. Then save the document as Allprogramsdisable.reg. Then, you can import the registry key by double click the REG file. Log off and then logon to the computer to apply the change.

To undo the change: You can save the following content as UndoAllprogramsdisable.reg and then apply it with the same method:

To deploy the above registry key to multiple users, you may consider deploying a logon script.

Group Policy
    ----------------------
    1. Click Start and then click Run. Type in GPEDIT.MSC and click OK. (For Windows XP Professional Edition)

Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Remove All Programs list from the Start menu

Best Regards,

Monday, September 3, 2007 10:31 AM
  • you can use a registry optimizer or cleaner,it's helpful.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Hi Dldab,

Group Policy
    ----------------------

Best Regards,

Hi Shawn

I would like to implement this solution. I assume that I should change the registry settings only once I am logged on to the StaedyState user account. Will this have any effect on the other (Admin) account that I have on the machine? Please advise.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:01 AM
  • Hi Dldab,

Group Policy
    ----------------------

Best Regards,

Hi Shawn

I would like to implement this solution. I assume that I should change the registry settings only once I am logged on to the StaedyState user account. Will this have any effect on the other (Admin) account that I have on the machine? Please advise.

I got bored waiting for an answer to this so I tested the solution on a little-used machine. I was a bit scared to try it on my laptop in case I borked it. For anyone who may be interested, the procedure to edit the registry is quick and works beautifully. If done from within the SteadyState user profile it has no effect on other user profiles. The result is a clean 'Start' interface with the only option (once all other stuff has been tidied) being Log Off. This means that the user can only get to apps via shortcuts on the desktop.

Just remember to uncheck 'Allow only the Classic Start menu' option under Windows Restrictions when setting up the restricted user profile.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:56 AM