none
How to know effective resource availability in VBA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Giving a certain date , there is a function in VBA that return the resource effective availability?

E.g

1 resource

2 tasks

task1 assign resource 1

task2 if the resource is free then assign else anticipate (or posticipate) task2

Monday, January 7, 2013 3:37 PM

All replies

• lucab1,

There's a little bit more to it than simply querying a resource's assignments to see it that resource is available. For example, let's say the resource is working on a task for 5 days. He starts working the first day and only works for 4 hours. Do you then want to assign him to work on the second task for the other 4 hours that day? In other words, at what timescale level (i.e. hour, day, week, etc.) do you want to check his availability?

This all sounds very much like an attempt to emulate a function that already exists in Project. It's called resource leveling. Is there a reason you can't use that function?

John

Monday, January 7, 2013 4:19 PM
  • Hi John

Thank you for your reply.

I don't know if resource leveling fits to me.

This is my problem: I have 1 Project with tasks and subtasks

The resources are assigned to subtasks.

The tasks will start and end in different time.

Some of the subtasks must be leveled other not...

Some people have decided to solve conflicts manually other people wants an automation.

The first question is, it is possible to level only certain resources?

Monday, January 7, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Lucab1,

By the way, which version of Project are you using? And, does it have the latest service pack installed? You can download service packs and updates at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587

The answer to your question is yes. Although I've never used resource leveling myself, if you have a resource pool, the Level Resources window allows you to level the entire resource pool or selected resources. If you do not have a resource pool, leveling reverts to the default of selected resources, or you can select Level All via a separate icon on the Level group of the Resource ribbon.

John

Monday, January 7, 2013 6:39 PM
  • That's not so easy...

The resource leveling move the tasks across my project to find a solution where the resources are free or less charged.

In my case I’ve assigned different priorities to the tasks and e.g task1 cannot be done after task2 and maybe task2 cannot be done after task4..

There is any solutions?

Thanks in advance

Luca.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:44 PM
  • Luca,

Don't confuse resource leveling and priority with task linking. Tasks should be linked in a logical sequence throughout the project. All tasks must have a successor and except for a few very specific exceptions all tasks must have a predecessor. Once the plan is created with the logical flow of tasks, then the resources are assigned. When a user employs resource leveling it will not violate the logic network of the plan. In other words resources may be moved based on priority and the network logic.

John

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:13 PM